CMU Sports Roundup: Football, soccer

The Tartans beat Baldwin Wallace 5-0 in their third straight shutout of the season to go 5-1-1 for the season. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) The Tartans beat Baldwin Wallace 5-0 in their third straight shutout of the season to go 5-1-1 for the season. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics)

This past weekend, undefeated #17 Carnegie Mellon took on Thiel at the Tomcats’ stadium in Greenville, Penn. The scoring started late into the first quarter; with 2:44 left, junior Thomas Coury blocked a punt that junior Kevin Cooke took into the endzone for a 7-0 Tartans lead.

Just under halfway into the second quarter, first-year Joey McGinnis got himself into the endzone after a one-yard push, extending the Tartans’ lead to 14-0. There was no more scoring in the first half of the game.

However, on the opening kickoff of the half, sophomore Emmanuel Obu returned the kick to the Tomcats 16-yard line. The drive was finished with a one-yard run from first-year Cole Franklin less than two minutes into the half. This made the score 21-0 in favor of the Tartans.

The Tartans pushed their advantage in the third quarter when sophomore Will Squibb completed a nine-yard touchdown rush with 7:44 left on the clock, giving the Tartans a 28-0 lead. However, early in the fourth quarter, the Tomcats were finally able to make their way onto the board with a one-yard rush touchdown. Thiel then failed their two-point conversion, making it 28-6, Tartans.

Carnegie Mellon finished scoring for the game with a 39-yard touch pass from senior Jack Fierro to junior Brian Stacy. As the clock marked the end of the fourth quarter, the scoreboard read 35-6.
The Tartans will look to keep up their undefeated streak when they take on Westminster on Sat., Oct. 1 for a 7 p.m. kickoff.

Men’s Soccer
The #8 Carnegie Mellon men’s soccer team traveled to Mount Aloysius on Wed., Sept. 21. The Tartans took the lead relatively early in the head-to-head with a goal from senior Josh Baugh in the 27th minute. In the 75th minute of the game, sophomore Jake Kavan put another one in the net, advancing the Tartan’s lead to 2-0.

Sophomore Kuba Yiadom put the final goal of the game past the keeper in the 87th minute after a header from sophomore Billy Boucuvalas. This 3-0 victory was the Tartan’s fifth shutout of the season, moving them to a 7-0 record for the season.

The men’s soccer team will next take on Juniata College on Wed., Sep. 28 with a 7:00 p.m. kickoff time on home turf.

Women’s Soccer
The #8 Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer team returned home for a Friday game against Baldwin Wallace. First-year Jenna Hallbeck opened the scoring for the Tartans in the 19th minute. Junior Cecelia Dieterich followed not long after in the 27th minute with a shot to the upper left corner that hit the crossbar and found its way into the net.

Less than a minute after the kickoff, sophomore Catherine MacNichol opened the scoring for the Tartans in the second half. She also recorded her second goal of the game in the 62nd minute off a penalty kick after she was fouled in the box. The last goal for the Tartans and of the game was scored by sophomore Maria Askounis following a pass from sophomore Emma Shirzad, making the final scoreline 5-0 Tartans. This victory advanced the Tartans to 5-1-1 for the year.

On Sunday, Sept. 25, the team once again faced off at home, this time against Penn State Behrend. Two minutes after entering the game, senior Alex Adams scored the opening goal in the 22nd minute after receiving a pass from sophomore Gemma Jefferson.

MacNichol followed suit near the end of the first half with a goal of her own after a pass over the defense from junior Rachel Legg. The game was scoreless in the second half, giving the Tartans another shutout victory, moving them to 6-1-1 for the season.

The women’s soccer team will next take on New York University on Sat., Oct. 1 with a 1:30 p.m. kickoff time on home turf.