Thistles and thorns: Edboard’s take on 2021

Editorials featured in the Forum section are solely the opinions of their individual authors.

At the close of every year, The Tartan reassesses the year’s events. We present here a list of the people and happenings that are worthy of recognition. Thistles go to people and events that had a positive effect on the campus community and society at large; thorns go to those that have negatively impacted the campus and our society.

A thistle to the vaccine and everyone in our community who has made the choice to get it for making it safer to see and visit all of our friends and relatives again.

A thorn to COVID, duh. It’s still here, it still sucks. Unfortunately, despite all of the progress that has been made this year, we still have a ways to go to fully escape the COVID era.

A thistle to the La Prima staff for keeping us all alive this semester. You guys rule Carnegie Mellon and give us a reason to wake up and get out of bed in the morning.

A thorn to all of the global companies and corporations who are currently accounting for a vast majority of all the greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere and are not doing anything to stop climate change. Some of us don’t want an increased amount of major natural disasters.

A thistle to all the states that have either decriminalized or, to some degree, have legalized marijuana. Legalization, as well as decriminalization, creates jobs, increases economic activity, and leads to less racist convictions.

A thorn to the Republican party for continuing to set the already-low bar for inhumanity even lower through passing destructive legislation.Also, to the Democratic party for being incompetent and still losing in elections.

A thistle to workers all over the country who are currently organizing, unionizing, as well as striking for fairer wages and better working conditions in their respective places of employment.

A thorn to the one percent. Avoiding having to pay taxes and having fancy, exorbitant space races does, in fact, nothing at all to help out the general population.

A thistle to Millie’s in Tepper for giving students the rare opportunity to spend all of their overpriced meal plan currencies on ice cream. It gives us five minutes to forget about the five assignments we have due at midnight.

A thorn to the new dining hours. Where are we supposed to go when we’re hungry at 2 a.m. or on the weekends? R.I.P. 2 a.m. midlife crises in The Underground.

A thistle to Buggy being in-person again! After two whole years of not having a traditional raceday, we are excited to see people rolling downhill in tiny carbon fiber tubes going 30 m.p.h. again.

A thorn to all the people who are fighting a non-existent war against critical race theory and vaccine mandates, despite the fact that both have been around for a very long time.

A thistle to the various Carnegie Mellon student organizations for being back and better than ever, hosting activities and events again, even after having been forced online for nearly two years.

A thorn to Carnegie Mellon, as well as colleges around the country, for increasing the cost of education in the United States year after year without fail.

A thistle to an in-person Tartan Community Day and Homecoming Weekend, which created multiple opportunities for active engagement for the Carnegie Mellon campus community.

A thorn to the legislators of the state of Texas for passing so many bills, laws, and regulations that attempt to limit the reproductive rights of women.

A thistle to the landscaping goats that journeyed to the Carnegie Mellon campus earlier this semester. You truly bring Sunshine (the donkey) to all of our lives.

A thorn to the mid-semester break being on a Thursday, as well as the shortened semester that ended up really stressing everyone out.

A thistle to Pittsburgh Mayor-elect Ed Gainey for making history as Pittsburgh’s first Black mayor after winning the election against Tony Moreno earlier this month.

A thorn to major companies like UPMC and their chronic employee mistreatment. Is it that hard to pay a fair wage?

A thistle to squishmallows. It’s high time for them to come into fashion, for they have the potential to restore faith in humanity and resolve all of the world’s crises.

A thorn to TERFs. People should be able to identify how they want, and other individuals should have no say in their identities. Hate and bigotry have no place. Enough said.

A thistle to all of our Carnegie Mellon seniors, et al., who will be graduating later this coming year. Congrats to all of you — we know how hard it was.