Women’s soccer falls in first defeat of the season

The tenth-ranked Carnegie Mellon University women’s soccer team welcomed the fifth-ranked Messiah College to Pittsburgh in a top-ten matchup on Sept. 15. After a home win on Wednesday for their third victory in a row, the Tartans fell to the Messiah Falcons, 4-1, in the team’s first loss of the season. They now have a 4-1 record on the season.

The game-deciding action occurred right in the opening minutes. The Falcons scored first at the two-minute mark with a goal to the far corner from 25 feet out. The visiting team struck again six minutes later on a penalty kick, after Tartan goalkeeper Carolyn Botz was penalized for tripping. The goal would ultimately become the game-winning goal. Two minutes later, in the 11th minute, the Tartans cut Messiah’s lead to 2-1 on a penalty kick by junior midfielder Sydney Webber.

In the following 10 minutes, the Tartans committed three fouls, which became a pattern throughout the match. In the 21st minute, the Falcons scored again, making the score 3-1. The Tartans tried to respond and dig themselves out of the two-point deficit for the rest of the match, but the Falcons defended well to complement their blistering offensive play. In the 41st, 43rd, and 44th minutes, the Tartans fired off three shots, two of them on goal, but were never able to reach the back of the net. Early in the second period, in the 57th minute, the Falcons scored the final goal of the game, ensuring their win with over 30 minutes left to play.

The Tartans finished with nine shots, four on goal, with two saves and two corner kicks. The Falcons recorded similar numbers, with eight shots, six on goal, with three saves and three corner kicks. However, the biggest difference in the match was penalties; the Tartans recorded 12, while the Falcons committed just five.

This week, the Tartans look to bounce back in the final match of their three-match homestand. On Friday, they face off against visiting Washington & Jefferson, set to begin at 7 p.m.