Women's soccer wins two while men get win and tie

First-year goalkeeper Carolyn Botz is a force to be reckoned with. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) First-year goalkeeper Carolyn Botz is a force to be reckoned with. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) A midfielder hurries to the ball. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) A midfielder hurries to the ball. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics)

The ninth–ranked women’s soccer team hosted 22nd-ranked Lynchburg College in a non-conference match on Sunday, Oct. 22, with the Tartans prevailing 1–0. The win improves the Tartans’ record to 10–2–2 overall while the Hornets fall to 14–2.

In a game played mostly between the 18-yard boxes, the Tartans took advantage of an opportunity in the 21st minute and went on for the 1–0 victory.

Senior midfielder Tori Iatarola scored the goal for the Tartans after junior midfielder Tessa Allen headed a ball across the box. The ball bounced and went under the foot of a defender as she tried to clear it. Iatarola was on the right side of the defender and calmly finished the shot to the opposite post.

Lynchburg did put two shots on goal but first-year goalkeeper Carolyn Botz made the routine saves and registered her eighth shutout of the season.

On Friday, Oct. 27, the Tartans continued University Athletic Association (UAA) play when Emory University visited Pittsburgh. The Tartans earned a 2–1 victory to move to 11–2–2 for the year and 3–1–1 in the UAA while the Eagles fell to 9–5–1 and 1–3–1.

After a scoreless first half, the Tartans got on the board in the 60th minute when senior midfielder Morgan Kontor headed in a free ball in the box after Allen’s throw-in bounced twice in the box and was not secured by the keeper.

Less than two minutes later the Tartans earned a corner kick. Senior forward Sienna Stritter served a low driven ball to the near post where senior defender Alex Moy met it with one strike toward the goal for her first score of the season.

It wasn’t until the 82nd minute that the Eagles were able to cut into the Tartan lead, but the Tartans were able to hold on to the win.

After taking on Rochester on Sunday, the Tartans will next face Case Western Reserve University on Saturday, Nov. 4. The men’s soccer team earned a 4–3 victory against visiting La Roche College on Wednesday, Oct. 18. The Tartans are now 10–3–1 for the season while La Roche moves to 7–8–1.

Senior midfielder Jimmy Jameson notched the first goal in the 21st minute to put the Tartans ahead 1–0.

La Roche tied the match early in the 27th minute and then took a 2–1 lead in the 52nd minute.

Less than four minutes later, in the 56th minute, the game was tied again when junior defender Greg Bellwoar dribbled through the defense and fired a shot across the box to the bottom right corner.

La Roche retook the lead on a goal in the 60th minute. Jameson tied the match in the 83rd minute with his second penalty kick of the evening.
Junior midfielder Jamie Wheaton scored his third goal of the season 57 seconds into overtime. Wheaton’s heroics came via a chipped shot from 22 yards out to the top left corner shortly after the overtime period started.

The Tartans finished with 12 shots on goal, including the four tallies, and junior goalkeeper Alec Lam made two saves for Carnegie Mellon.
The Tartans hosted Emory University on Friday, Oct. 27 in UAA action and closed the game with a 2–2 draw to move to 10–3–2 on the year and 2–2–1 in the UAA. The Eagles are now 11–4–1 and 3–1–1.

Sophomore midfielder Cooper Tubiana opened the game’s scoring in the 16th minute when he one-timed a shot past the keeper’s right side from the penalty arc. Tubiana was gifted the ball off a defender’s foot after the Tartans strung together three passes starting with junior defender Jack McCambridge playing a ball to Wheaton from the right sideline. Wheaton then played a ball in to junior midfielder Zack Masciopinto. The defender slid to clear it but the ball landed at Tubiana’s foot.

Less than two minutes later, Masciopinto scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season. Wheaton was again involved when he fed the ball in to Masciopinto on the right side. Masciopinto turned, took a touch or two to his left and curled a left-footed shot around the defense and keeper for the two-goal advantage for the Tartans.

Emory cut the deficit in half in the 48th minute. The Eagles then earned a corner kick in the 56th minute and got the ball across the line for the equalizer.

Masciopinto had a chance in the first overtime with a header that was saved after a lofted service by junior forward Anthony Gulli over the defense.

The Eagles nearly put in the golden goal in the 104th minute when a shot went just wide of the left post, but the two teams were unable to score any further.

After a 1–1 tie against the University of Rochester on Sunday, the Tartans will close out the season against Case Western Reserve on Saturday, Nov. 4.