Football suffers loss

The Carnegie Mellon men’s football team traveled to Washington & Jefferson College on Saturday, hoping to recover from their shutout at the hands of rival Case Western Reserve University two weeks prior. Unfortunately for the Tartans, the Presidents had a different idea and the Tartans ultimately fell 48–30.

Washington & Jefferson made their dominance clear on the first three possessions. After a 15-yard play and a 75-yard drive off of the opening kickoff, the Presidents held the Tartans to a quick three-and-out. Although a combination of first-year punter and kicker Tyler Kohman’s directional punting and a Washington & Jefferson penalty pushed the Presidents deep within their own territory, it only took two plays, a 17-yard run, and a 70-yard pass for the Tartans to be down two touchdowns less than seven minutes into the game.

To their credit, the Tartans responded with their own long drive, putting up their first points of the regular season and cutting the deficit to seven with an 18-yard pass from junior quarterback Andrew Hearon to junior wide receiver Chris Herrera. Carnegie Mellon then flexed its muscle on defense, forcing a quick three-and-out and getting the ball back to the offense in good field position. But Lady Luck was not on the Tartans’ side, as the drive was quickly stopped when sophomore running back Don Boyer fumbled away the football just three plays later.

The Presidents were able to convert their good field position into another touchdown and then led 21–7. Carnegie Mellon, boosted by a great return into
Washington & Jefferson territory by first-year running back Sam Benger, was able to mount a response, culminating with a quarterback sneak by Hearon to finally punch it into the end zone and cut the deficit to seven.

Any momentum the Tartans had gained was quickly squashed in the next two drives, a long touchdown drive by the Presidents and an interception by Hearon in the red zone. The combination of stout defense and poor field position for Washington & Jefferson ended the scoring for the half, leaving the Tartans down 28–14.

The third quarter started similarly to how the second ended with the teams trading three-and-outs. Carnegie Mellon was starting to string together a drive when Hearon fumbled the ball.
The Presidents quickly scored another touchdown to push the lead to 21, further burying the Tartans. While the game would not be officially over for another quarter, Washington & Jefferson eliminated any doubt about the contest’s victor with yet another touchdown near the end of the third quarter, pushing the lead to an insurmountable 28.

With pride on the line, Carnegie Mellon responded, if only to minimize the damage on the scoreboard. A drive spanning the end of the third quarter and start of the fourth culminated in a touchdown from Hearon to junior wide receiver Max Reinertsen, with the resulting onside kick recovery by first-year offensive linebacker Kyle Brittain keeping the Tartans’ slim hopes alive.

After a failed fourth down conversion, the Presidents needed only two plays to eliminate the progress Carnegie Mellon had made. The Tartans would score one more touchdown, but by the then, the game was already decided.

Carnegie Mellon returns home for the first time this season, taking on Geneva College this Saturday.