Women’s soccer continues dominance in 2–0 victory

The women’s soccer team continued its streak of dominance last Friday, beating the La Roche College Redhawks at home 2–0 in convincing fashion.

The win — their fourth in a row — improves their record to 5–1–1.

The Tartans started scoring in the 10th minute when senior defender Rachel Contopoulos curved a corner kick into the top right corner of the net for her first goal of the season.

The Tartans cruised for the rest of the game, controlling possession in La Roche territory while pressuring the Redhawks into turnovers in the rare instances where they had the ball

The Redhawks’ only shot of the game came in the 18th minute and harmlessly soared over the net. The Tartans ended the game with 24 shots.

Sophomore Louisa Pendergast scored her second goal of the season in the 57th minute.

“We switched our positioning — instead of having two center-mid[fielders], we had two attacking mid[fielders],” she said.

Sophomore Amanda Broderick advanced the ball to outside the penalty box and found Pendergast on her left, who struck the ball with her left foot past the goalie’s stretched arm.

“No one was defending me. It was an easy shot,” she said.

For the Redhawks, the game was one long, self-tormenting cycle. With the Tartans keeping possession in the La Roche half, the Redhawks took many goal kicks. Unfortunately for them, their goal kicks bounced back to Carnegie Mellon players, which allowed the Tartans to restart their attack in great position.

“They dropped off a lot of defensive players,” Pendergast said, which allowed them to win the opposing goal kicks. “And they were short.”

Over their four-game winning streak, the Tartans have outshot their opponents 60–14.

Despite their recent success, Pendergast says there is still room for improvement. “I think we have a lot to work on,” she said. “The progression has been going well, but we really need to start putting teams away.”

“Once we touch up our attacking third, I think we’ll have a solid season,” she said.

On Friday, the Tartans had an opportunity to increase their lead in the 30th minute. Junior Lucy Havens — taking a penalty kick after sophomore Carson Quiros was taken down in the box — shot right into the diving goalie’s hand.

In the first half, first-year forward Megan Bartoshuk caused havoc on the left flank, creating chances for her teammates by advancing the ball to the goal line and crossing the ball into the penalty box.

In the eighth minute, she created a chance of her own as she beat her defender and drove a shot that clanged off the crossbar.

The Tartans will play Wednesday at home at 7 p.m. against Juniata College.