Women's soccer wins twice in DoubleTree Tartan Cup

The women’s soccer team celebrates their second victory of the season after blowing out Bridgewater College. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) The women’s soccer team celebrates their second victory of the season after blowing out Bridgewater College. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics)

On Friday, Sept. 1 and Saturday, Sept. 2, the 22nd-ranked Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer team opened the season by competing in the Carnegie Mellon DoubleTree Tartan Cup.

Against Frostburg State, the Tartans put three shots on goal through the first 45 minutes. All three came in the final 10 minutes of the half, but Frostburg’s goalkeeper, Jenny Bullers, was there to stop each one.

The Tartans took control in the second period with their first shot coming 32 seconds after the whistle when first-year midfielder Kristen Chong fired a shot on net that Bullers stopped. Less than a minute later, senior midfielder Tori Iatarola had a shot turned away by Bullers.
In the 61st minute, a shot by senior forward Haili Adams hit the right post before junior forward Katja Bracklemanns-Puig’s shot in the 63rd minute was just high.

Less than a minute after entering the pitch, junior forward Kaily Bruch connected on a left-footed shot to the upper left corner, giving the Tartans the goal they needed. First-year forward Ashley Akin collected the ball to the left of the 18-yard box and centered a pass to Bruch who took a controlled touch to her left before curling the shot past Bullers.

Two more shots for the Tartans were stopped by Bullers, as the Tartans went on for the 1–0 win.

Against Bridgewater College, the Tartans put three shots on frame in the first period but all were turned away by their goalkeeper while the Tartan defense didn’t allow a shot by Bridgewater (0–1–1).

55 seconds into the second half, senior midfielder Morgan Kontor deflected a corner kick by Iatarola into the near post and in goal for the Eagles.
In the 57th minute, sophomore forward Ryan Casey won a ball on the left sideline and poked a pass to Adams in the central part of the field. Adams dribbled into open space and laced a shot center and high from just outside the penalty arc that sailed over goalkeeper Davis and into the net for a 2-0 lead for the Tartans.

A similar play happened in the 65th minute when Casey challenged a defender along the left side. The ball bounced off the defender and to the foot of senior forward Sienna Stritter in the midfield. Stritter dribbled into open space and lofted a shot high over the outstretched arms of Davis and into the net for her first goal of the season and the Tartan 3-0 lead.

In the 88th minute, Casey found the back of the net herself after a long throw in by senior defender Katie Strycharz bounced over a defender where Casey then chipped the keeper for the score.

The final goal of the night came off the foot of Chong in the 89th minute. Iatarola played a low free kick toward the near post that Chong finished with her right foot at the near post.

The Tartans are now 3–0–1 on the year. They will next travel to second-ranked Messiah College on Saturday, Sept. 16.