Campus news in brief

Carnegie Mellon students connect sports to statistics with the Pittsburgh Pirates

Carnegie Mellon’s statistics students had the unique opportunity to explore the connections between sports and statistics earlier this month with a little help from the Pittsburgh Pirates. Recently, professional teams have become more interested in collecting data about players’ strengths and weaknesses to identify a possible edge. This is where statistics comes into play.

Undergraduate statistics majors from the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences alongside members of the Tartan Sports Analytics Club (TSAC) were able to meet with the Pirates’ analytics team before the game. Students got to ask a variety of questions to the team’s data architect, Josh Smith, quantitative analyst, Mike Fitzgerald, and director of baseball informatics, Dan Fox.

Many TSAC members have had the chance to intern or work for professional sports teams including the Pirates and teams in the NFL and NBA. Faculty advisor of TSAC and visiting assistant professor in the statistics department, Sam Ventura, works as an analytics consultants for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

BrainHub to hold its first Neurons to Neighborhoods event on Friday Sept. 30

This Friday, some of the leading experts in early childhood development will meet with local policymakers for the first Neurons to Neighborhoods community outreach event, all thanks to Carnegie Mellon University’s BrainHub. Sponsored by The Heinz Endowments, the event hopes to educate government officials and early caregivers on the latest research in early brain development.

The goal of BrainHub is two-fold: to conduct groundbreaking brain research and to share their findings with government officials and health care service providers to help them modify their policies and everyday practices.

President of the Heinz Endowments, Grant Oliphant, will give a welcome address. Dean of the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Richard Scheines, Interim Director of BrainHub and professor of biological sciences, Alison Barth, Director of the Children’s School, Sharon Carver, the Cowan University professor of cognitive neuroscience, Marlene Behrmann, and associate professor of psychology, David Rakison, will be speaking at the event. Additional talks will be given by other early development experts from Harvard University, University of Maryland, Columbia University, and the Bezos Family Foundation.
Neurons to Neighborhoods will be held from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 30 in Hamburg Hall.