Campus news in brief

Several Carnegie Mellon alums have been nominated for Emmy Awards

Several Carnegie Mellon alumni members were nominated for this year’s Creative Arts Emmy Awards. Among them was College of Fine Arts graduate Will Gossett (CFA ’15) who won a 2016 Creative Arts Emmy for Best Lighting Design/Lighting Direction. Gossett, and the rest of the lighting crew, won for his work as a lighting director for “Grease: Live.”

Mark Worthington, ’91, and Steve Arnold, ’89, were nominated against each other in the category of Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More). They were nominated for their work on American Horror Story: Hotel and House of Cards, respectively. The award ultimately went to the production designers of Game of Thrones.

Eugene Lee, ’62, was nominated for Outstanding Production Design for a Variety, Nonfiction, Reality Or Reality-Competition Series for his work on Saturday Night Live. Portlandia won this category this year.

Outside of the Creative Arts Emmys, 1970 graduate and two-time Daytime Emmy winner Judith Light has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her performance as Shelly Pfefferman in Transparent.

The 68th Primetime Emmy Awards aired on Sept. 18 on ABC at 7 p.m. and was hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

New Facebook Study shows that online interactions improve a person's mood

A new study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University and Facebook shows that personal interactions on Facebook have a positive impact on a person’s feelings. In particular, researchers say that personalized comments and posts from loved ones have been shown to solicit as much satisfaction from a person as getting married or having a baby.

Moira Burke, a Facebook research scientist and human-computer interaction PhD graduate, and Robert Kraut, a professor at Carnegie Mellon’s Human Computer Interaction Institute, conducted the three month-long study. The duo asked 1,910 Facebook users from 91 countries to take a monthly survey in which they were asked about their Facebook behavior. Burke and Kraut found that within a month, sixty comments from close friends affected one’s psychological well-being, concluding that Facebook interactions can increase satisfaction and happiness.

Burke and Kraut’s study does, however, contradict previous studies that have shown that time spent on social media is associated with a greater likelihood of loneliness and depression. Burke and Kraut’s study has shown that personal social media interactions help to combat said negative feelings, with Burke suggesting that these interactions help remind people of their loved ones and positive influences in their lives.

“We’re not talking about anything that’s particularly labor-intensive,” Burke said in a University press release. “This can be a comment that’s just a sentence or two. The important thing is that someone such as a close friend takes the time to personalize it. The content may be uplifting, and the mere act of communication reminds recipients of the meaningful relationships in their lives.”