Campus News in Brief

Celebration of Cohon Center Expansion on Friday, Sept. 2

On Sept. 2, the Cohon Center is offering a variety of free activities, music, and food throughout the day to celebrate its new expansion. A preliminary schedule of events is provided below, but more details, activities, and a full schedule of events will be coming later this week on the corresponding Facebook event page.

Free Group X classes will begin at 7:30 a.m. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., a volunteer fair will be held in Rangos, while ballroom dance classes can be found in the Activities Room. Tables in Wean will offer free samples from Culinart. Skibo Cafe will present musical performances and free treats from Au Bon Pain. In addition, refreshments can be found in the new Studio Theater and the new Danforth Conference Room.

You will also be able to check in at the event’s information desk to go on tours of the new Fitness Center, which will be available from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. At 4:30 p.m. in the Wiegand Gym, a 3-on-3 basketball tournament will begin. At 7:30 p.m. in the Studio Theater, there will be a performance by deejay Louis the Child.

In the evening, AB activities will present a showing of Zootopia in McConomy Auditorium at 10:30 p.m.

Jean Yang added to MIT Technology Review's "Innovators Under 35" List

Jean Yang, a new assistant professor joining the Carnegie Mellon Computer Science Department this fall, has been added to the annual “Innovators Under 35” list, an international list compiled by MIT Technology Review that recognizes 35 outstanding innovators across a wide range of fields. Yang was recognized in the Visionary category of the list for her work developing a programming model that integrates security into applications.

Previous winners who have been named to the list include Mark Zuckerberg, the co-founder of Facebook; Jonathan Ive, the chief designer of Apple; and Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the co-founders of Google.

“Over the years, we’ve had success in choosing young innovators whose work has been profoundly influential on the direction of human affairs,” Jason Pontin, the magazine’s editor-in-chief and publisher, said. “We’re proud of our selections and the variety of achievements they celebrate, and we’re proud to add Jean Yang to this prestigious list.”

Yang received her Ph.D. in computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2015. At Carnegie Mellon, she will also have an affiliate appointment in the Computational Biology Department, having spent last year working on protein signaling models as a postdoctoral researcher at Harvard Medical School.