Campus News in Brief

CMU Qatar alumna Nada Arajki makes history at the Olympics

Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar alumna Nada Arajki made history again this summer at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

In 2012, as a first-year student, Arajki travelled to London and became the first female to represent Qatar, competing in the 50-meter freestyle. This year, returning to show in the 100-meter butterfly race, she has officially become the only woman in Qatar history to compete in two Olympic Games.

According to CMU News Arajki was "proud and happy" to make history in 2012, but this year, she hoped to channel her experience and training to improve upon her personal best time. Arakji completed the 100-meter freestyle heat in one minute and 18.86 seconds, ranking at number 45.

Alajki graduated from CMU-Q's business administration program in May 2016, also serving as this year's student speaker at commencement.

She admitted that balancing swimming with her academics was often a challenge, but for what she loves, nothing could get in the way.

Alajki hopes to join the Qatar Olympic Committee to continue developing athletics in the country's future.

Carnegie Mellon wins third World Series of Hacking competition

This August, Carnegie Mellon's competitive cybersecurity team, the Plaid Parliament of Pwning, earned its third title in four years at the "World Series of Hacking," the DefCon Capture the Flag competition.

The team, led by electrical and computer engineering faculty and director of CyLab Security and Privacy Insitute, David Brumley, traveled to Las Vegas, Nev. for the contest from Aug. 6-8.

The Plaid Parliament of Pwning was just one of 15 teams to qualify to compete at DefCon. At the Capture the Flag competitions, teams try to break into each others' servers to catch "flags" while continuing to defend their own server.

Brumley said in an interview to CMU News that as the competition continues to get more difficult, it is rewarding to see the team's hard work pay off.

The competitions are also a good experience for Carnegie Mellon to hone their computer security skills in order to become more qualified applicants in a demanding workforce.

The Plaid Parliament of Pwning was created in 2009 and competed in its first DefCon in 2010, winning its first two titles in 2013 and 2014.