Sports

Tartan track and field teams dominate Quad Meet at home

Runners make their way around the track during a running event at the Carnegie Mellon Quad Meet on Saturday. (credit: Theodore Teichman/Assistant Photo Editor) Runners make their way around the track during a running event at the Carnegie Mellon Quad Meet on Saturday. (credit: Theodore Teichman/Assistant Photo Editor) First-year jumper Reed Farber leaps into the air during the high jump event at the Carnegie Mellon Quad Meet. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics) First-year jumper Reed Farber leaps into the air during the high jump event at the Carnegie Mellon Quad Meet. (credit: Courtesy of CMU Athletics)

The Carnegie Mellon track and field teams hosted their annual Carnegie Mellon Quad Meet on Saturday. Both teams triumphed over the field, which included teams from Westminster College, Penn State Behrend, and Saint Vincent College.

The women’s track and field team earned 216 points and won seven events. Sophomore thrower Kiersten Chuc and first-year thrower Oly Nwankwo each threw the hammer with Chuc winning the event with a mark of 41.63 meters and Nwankwo finishing second with a mark of 40.28 meters. Nwankwo also finished second in the shot put with a mark of 11.12 meters, while Chuc was second in the discus throw with a career-best mark of 33.24 meters. First-year thrower Alexa Barriero finished second in the women’s javelin throw with a mark of 30.34 meters.

Senior mid-distance runner Taylor Maggiacomo ran to a career-best time in the 3,000-meter steeplechase as she finished it in 11:57.58, shaving more than 14 seconds off her previous best. Senior distance runner Haley Bryant won the 1,500-meter run with a season-best time of 5:07.24. First-year sprinter, mid-distance runner, and hurdler Rose Ciriello picked up a victory in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:23.10. First-year sprinter and jumper Debarati Bhanja placed second in the long jump with a mark of 4.82 meters, and first-year jumper and sprinter Autumn Hair came in third with a mark of 4.70 meters. Junior hurdler and jumper Sommer Farber finished second in the 100-meter hurdles in 17.09 with junior hurdler and jumper Rebecca Fortner finishing third in 17.13.

Sophomore sprinter Sarah Cook also picked up a second-place finish when she crossed the finish line in a season-best 59.23 in the 400-meter run. Bhanja ran to a career-best time when she finished third in the 400 in 59.64 seconds. Junior sprinter and jumper Jerilyn James ran the 100-meter dash in 13.46 to place second while Hair was third in 13.51. James later ran the 200-meter dash in 28.47 to place second. In the high jump, Fortner won with a meet-record height of 1.55 meters. First-year jumper Tessa Allen cleared 1.55 meters to place second while junior sprinter, jumper, and thrower Emily Swanson jumped over the bar at 1.50 meters for a career best.

Senior mid-distance runner Liz Snyder won the 3,000-meter run in 10:40.58 with senior distance runner Natalie Smith placing second in 10:59.86. Senior distance runner Kira Ragazzo made it a sweep with a third-place finish in 11:08.32. The women closed out the meet with a victory in the 4x400-meter relay when Bhanja, James, Ciriello and Cook crossed in 4:09.65.

The men’s track and field team scored 205 points, just over Penn State Behrend’s 198 points. First-year sprinter and jumper Rai Walters won the long jump with a mark of 6.79 meters against a -1.2 wind reading. In the triple jump, sophomore jumper Eloy Fernandez finished third with a jump of 12.65 meters. Sophomore thrower Jacob Schofel placed first in the hammer throw with a mark of 51.04 meters while sophomore thrower David Trzcinski was third with a mark of 41.22 meters.

The discus saw the Tartans finish with second- and third-place points, as Schofel was second with a mark of 37.94 meters and first-year thrower Kenny Sladick was third with a throw of 36.04 meters. First-year jumper Reed Farber and sophomore sprinter and jumper Cameron Smith each cleared 1.81 meters to tie their respective career best and tied for third place in the high jump.

Junior mid-distance runner Curtis Watro won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:50.45 while junior mid-distance runner Owen Norley won the 1,500-meter run in 4:04.89. Junior hurdler and jumper Don Boyer earned a win in the 400-meter hurdles in 58.45 seconds. Senior sprinter Jeff Chen was second in the 400-meter run in 51.27 to tie his career-best while he was third in the 200-meter dash in 23.50

Senior mid-distance runner Marc-Daniel Julien also picked up a second-place finish when he crossed the finish line in 1:55.88 in the 800-meter run. Graduate distance runner Josh Antonson led the Tartans in the 3,000-meter run, placing first in 8:58.39. Junior mid-distance runner Gordon Pace was behind Antonson in second place with a time of 9:09.25. The 4x400-meter relay saw the team of first-year sprinter Kyle Lee, Julien, first-year mid-distance runner Isaac Mills, and Norley win in 3:25.44, less than three seconds ahead of the second place team.

Both Tartan teams will next compete at the John Homon Invitational hosted by the University of Mount Union on Saturday, April 9.