Campus News In Brief

NROTC senior presented with $4,000 scholarship by decorated war veteran

Midshipman Grant Langevin, a senior mechanical engineering major and member of the Carnegie Mellon Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC), was presented with a $4,000 scholarship from the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association in partnership with the Medal of Honor Foundation, by Medal of Honor recipient Colonel Harvey Barnum in Rashid Auditorium. Around 100 students in the NROTC program attended the event in which Barnum also spoke about his experiences.

The scholarship is awarded to students who have shown good moral character, exhibited academic achievement, and demonstrated potential to serve as an officer in the U.S. Armed Forces. In May, Langevin will graduate with both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering. Upon graduation, Langevin will commission as an ensign in the U.S. Navy’s Naval Reactors program, a U.S. government office that is responsible for the safe and reliable operation of the Navy’s nuclear propulsion program.

At the event, Barnum spoke about his experiences in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War and offered advice on leadership, humility, and patriotism. He is one of only 78 living recipients of the Medal of Honor, which is the United States’ highest military honor.
“It was a motivating experience that has me looking forward to my future service in the U.S. Navy, and I can hope I can live up to the example that Colonel Barnum set during his service,” Langevin said.

**Carnegie Mellon students create a water purification and transportation barrel **

A group of mechanical engineering seniors — Deepak Ravi, Anna Mirabella, Jack Kaplan, Veronica Jaime-Lara, and Alex Baker — have designed a barrel called the Water Transportation and Purification System. The barrel filters water as it rolls, an innovation that considers those who may have to walk for miles to find water and then filter so that it is safe to drink.

The barrel is made of only a few parts and requires no power; mechanical energy is generated by the rolling of the barrel. It uses a Sawyer water filter that never needs to be replaced, and is made of recycled plastic industrial barrels that are normally thrown away. It was developed as a project for the group’s Mechanical Engineering Senior Design course, taught by associate teaching professor Noé Vargas Hernández. The class is a requirement for all mechanical engineering majors and focuses on taking a project from conception to prototype.

The prototype they came up with costs $200, but with mass production the team estimates that the cost should go down to only $40 a unit. In addition, a single barrel could serve an entire community, since the water carried in it is purified by the time it arrives home. The tank holds 15 gallons of water, which is “about a weekly supply of water for a family in the developing world,” Ravi said.
“We’ve decided to make this design open source,” Mirabella said. “If someone wants to manufacture our system and get it down to that $40, none of us would be upset. It would be awesome to have had a small part of something big.”