Campus news in brief

American Academy of Arts and Sciences welcomes Carnegie Mellon’s Tom Mitchell

On Wednesday, April 20, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (AAAS) announced its 2016 member class, which included Tom Mitchell, a member of Carnegie Mellon’s Machine Learning Department.

Mitchell has been with Carnegie Mellon since 1986 and was named Fredkin University Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Mitchell also served for 10 years as the founding head of the Machine Learning Department. His research focuses on learning algorithms, with particular interest in analyzing MRIs to model brain cognition.

In addition to his new membership in the AAAS, he has also been elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and served for two years as President of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.

Mitchell and the rest of the 213 new members will be inducted to the AAAS on Oct. 8 at the Academy’s headquarters in Cambridge, MA.
AAAS was founded in 1780 by John Adams and James Bowdoin, and is considered nationally to be one of the most prestigious honor societies for American scholars.

Mitchell is the fourteenth Carnegie Mellon faculty to receive this honor, joining President Subra Suresh, Jared L. Cohon, Edmund Clarke, Randal Bryant, and Takeo Kanade, among others.

Student Senate starts CMU Speaks to bring awareness to mental health issues

On Thursday April 21, volunteers from Active Minds and Senate gathered on The Cut from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to read stories about student mental health aloud.

The event was the result of an initiative from Senate’s Academic Affairs Committee called CMU Speaks.

In late February, the Academic Affairs Committee hosted Pulse Check: Senate Mental Health Week. Members tabled in the Merson Courtyard each day to raise mental health awareness and facilitate discussion among students. They also hung posters around campus advertising the opportunity to anonymously submit personal stories about mental health at Carnegie Mellon. Senate received 41 responses.

The authors of these stories granted their permission to have them published on the CMU Speaks website (https://cmuspeaks.wordpress.com/) and read aloud at the event. Since Thursday, the website has received over 1,000 pageviews.

The CMU Speaks initiative is ongoing, and Senate Academic Affairs (AA) Committee Chairman Eric Zhu says that Active Minds and AA intend to make this an annual event. Students can continue to submit their stories to CMU Speaks at https://senate.typeform.com/to/tvAO5O.