Pre-order food with GET, Dining Services' new app

Credit: Courtesy of Mandi Semple Credit: Courtesy of Mandi Semple

Last week, Carnegie Mellon Dining Services unveiled GET Food, a mobile and online application that allows students and staff to order food in advance from participating campus locations to pick up at a later time. Current participating locations are Tartan’s Pizza, located in the Tartan’s Pavilion in Resnik, and The Underground, located in the basement of Morewood Gardens. A third location, Rothberg’s Roasters II, estimated to open in April as part of the new Scott Hall, will be available on GET Food upon opening.

GET Food allows users to pre-order their food, which will be ready for pickup in 15 — 30 minutes. Customers can also schedule for pickup at a later time, up to a week in advance. Users can look through detailed menus on the app, customize their orders, and add additional ingredients or special instructions. At this point, GET Food only offers a limited menu of popular items, and as expected, the window for ordering closes a bit earlier than regular closing hours.

Orders can be paid for with a credit card, DineXtra funds, or Flex dollars (associated with a meal plan), as part of the linked GET Funds portion of the app. GET Funds allows users to easily deposit DineXtra funds, view current balances, and see past transactions. The service was debuted by Dining Services last November. Parents can also make deposits into a student’s GET Funds account.

The motivation behind GET Food and Funds, according to Pascal Petter, the Director of Dining Services, and Mandi Semple, the Director of Marketing for Student Affairs Operations, was convenience and the need for a mobile-friendly solution for getting food.

“Knowing our students and how busy they are, and how much mobile phones are utilized for multiple purposes, this is one way that we wanted to make sure that we were able to provide that service,” Petter said.

In addition, GET Food is meant to provide fast service to consumers, and hopefully reduce congestion and lines at peak hours during meal times.
The development of GET Food also came as a response to feedback from the Carnegie Mellon community that asked for such a service. Carnegie Mellon Dining Services is always open to feedback and suggestions about their programs, and can be reached through email, the Facebook page entitled “To Dining, With Love,” or by attending the monthly Dining Services Advisory Council meetings. The next meeting will take place on Wed. March 16 at the Residence on Fifth.

Although only a handful of vendors currently participate in GET Food, Dining Services hopes to add two to three new locations to the program in the fall. “More than likely, over time, as the program gains popularity, other vendors will come on board, and then the options will be more widespread,” Semple said.

Another recent initiative implemented by Dining Services is its new streamlined website, which details the hours and locations of on-campus dining options and is updated frequently. The website also provides menus and nutritional information. Additionally, Dining Services is focused on its near-complete renovation of Skibo Café and the opening of Au Bon Pain, which is expected to open this May in line with the opening of the new University Center addition.