Campus News in Brief

Carnegie Mellon settles its 2009 lawsuit with Marvell on determining data storage

This past week it was announced that Carnegie Mellon University was able to settle its 2009 patent infringement lawsuit against Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and Marvell Semiconductor Inc. As decided from this settlement, the inventors, José Moura, a professor in Carnegie Mellon’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Aleksandar Kavcic, a former doctoral student of Moura and now professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Hawaii, will receive a large portion of the proceeds.

In the early 1990s, Moura and Kavcic decided to focus their research on the challenge of magnetic recording devices being pushed towards their physical limitations. The pair were able to determine the amount of data that was being contained into very small spaces, an important issue that arose over the next couple of years.

The work of Moura and Kavcic led to more accuracy when determining the amount of data being stored in small disk drives of computers. This allowed the data storage industry to progress in recording larger amounts of data in continuously shrinking domains.

“A key part of Carnegie Mellon’s mission is making discoveries that have global impact,” said Carnegie Mellon President Subra Suresh in a university press release. “We are pleased to honor the work of José and Alek, two inventors who provided a major step forward in computing technology, at a time when computing was transforming our world.”

Posner family donates $5 million directed towards CMU presidential scholarships

The Posner family has recently given $5 million dollars to Carnegie Mellon University to support undergraduate student scholarships. This money will create a minimum of five undergraduate scholarships each year. Students receiving this scholarship will be decided upon based on their academic success and future potential.

This gift adds to the longstanding support that the Posner family has given to the University. The Posner family is currently represented by Carnegie Mellon University Trustee Anne Molloy and her husband Henry Posner III. Posner expressed his pride in seeing the University’s growth from what it was during his father’s time to the global institution it is now.

“Carnegie Mellon is dedicated to attracting a diverse cohort of outstanding students from around the world and all walks of life,” said Carnegie Mellon President Subra Suresh in a university press release. “We thank the Posner family for their generous gift, which will help expand access to a CMU education for many students, allowing us to create an even more diverse student body. Their commitment testifies to the importance of this mission.”

Carnegie Mellon’s Presidential Fellowships and Scholarships program now stands at a value of $156 million, supporting more than 145 students.