Campus News in Brief

The Game Theorist’s Guide to Parenting

On April 15, Kevin Zollman, an associate professor of philosophy at Carnegie Mellon, along with co-author Paul Raeburn, author of Psychology Today’s blog “About Fathers,” will release their novel The Game Theorist’s Guide to Parenting: How the Science of Strategic Thinking Can Help You Deal with the Toughest Negotiators You Know — Your Kids.

Zollman’s first presentation of game theory was in an advice column he wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2013. In response to this, Jennifer Breheny Wallace, a former journalist currently working as a freelance writer and television commentator, used Zollman’s article to examine the struggles that parents and their children face. This ignited an interest in the idea of game theory in parenting, and soon enough Zollman was approached with the opportunity to create a book based on this idea.

Part of the knowledge that goes in to writing a book such as this one involves some history with parenting, something that the childless Zollman did not have. Raeburn, who has written many times on the combination of science and parenting, and who is the father of five children, entered the project by helping Zollman devise realistic scenarios of how game theory and parenting intersect.

When discussing the impact of the ideas in the book, Zollman said, “Game theory is exciting because it applies to almost all of our social lives...It’s only natural that game theory should work for one of the toughest aspects of our lives — dealing with children.”

Patrick Wilson makes his directorial debut

Patrick Wilson, a 1995 graduate of Carnegie Mellon’s School of Drama and prolific actor of the stage and screen, has returned to his alma mater to direct The Full Monty. He will be making his directorial debut as a director-in-residence in the John Wells Directing Program.

The Broadway production of The Full Monty, adapted from the 1997 movie of the same name, made its debut in 2000 and was directed by Terrence McNally with music and lyrics by David Yazbek. Wilson earned a Tony Award nomination for best leading actor for his performance as Jerry. It’s safe to say that Wilson is very qualified to take on Carnegie Mellon’s production of the musical, which will run Feb. 18-27 in the Philip Chosky Theatre in the Purnell Center for the Arts.

“I’ve been talking with [professors] Gary Kline and Don Wadsworth about finding or making time to direct for years,” Wilson said. “Gary suggested this was the perfect fit because I know the show and we had the right class for it.”

Some of Wilson’s other acting credits include the characters of Raoul in The Phantom of the Opera movie, Josh Feldman in the movie Insidious, and, more recently, Lou Solverson on the second season of FX’s television series Fargo, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.