Campus News in Brief

The Institute for New Feeling displays new ways of feeling new at Miller gallery

Three alumni from Carnegie Mellon’s School of Art have created a research clinic devoted to developing new ways of feeling and ways of feeling new. Alumni Scott Andrew, a current adjunct instructor in art, Agnes Bolt, and Nina Sarnelle have entitled this clinic The Institute for New Feeling (IFNF). The institution will be geared towards working on treatments, therapies, retreats, and wellness products.

In response to the idea that corporations in this country can be granted personhood, the Institute stated, “Anyone can be an Institute. Anyone can construct a belief system; or define a new standard of beauty; or decide what is ‘good for us.’”

The Institute’s latest project, “Furthering Cream,” will be on display at the Miller gallery until Feb. 28. Their work will be one of many featured at the exhibit, which is titled Maximum Minimum in Unum. It will feature other art works produced by Carnegie Mellon alumni. The Institute’s performance showed how “Furthering Cream” is produced. The Institute advises guests to return to the exhibit throughout the month to witness how the material crystallizes and ages, harvested and bottled through the IFNF cave system.

The Institute is devoted to finding ways for its founders to connect with people. Their ultimate goal is to open a spa in Los Angeles to further their research in creating new experiences.

CMU Almuni create Autopod “Micro-taxis” that is turning heads in Shadyside

Carnegie Mellon alumni Tanuj Apete and Deepak Vidhani have created something new that is turning heads in Shadyside. The graduates have created a “micro-taxi” called the Autopod that is a three-wheeled, battery-assisted bicycle surrounded by a lime green outer shell used to cover passengers and the driver. These rides run for about two miles or less through the Shadyside district, although by April they will be operating throughout South Side, the Strip District, and downtown neighborhoods.

Autopods partnered with the Shadyside Chamber of Commerce, which sponsored the rides. Chamber Director Tori Mistick stated “They’re fun, the color is great, and they’re very practical.” Rides are free during the weekends but cost $5 during the weekdays. Autopods pay the drivers $10 per hour on the weekends to accommodate for the free fares.

Tanuj Apete, co-founder of Autopods, thought of the idea during the winter of his junior year. “It got too cold for me to walk to class so I thought if only there was a way to get a quick short distance ride — something a taxi wouldn’t do,” Apete said.

Apete and Vidhani are undergoing plans to modify the vehicle with canvas jeep-like doors that snap onto the shell, a lighter outer aluminum shell to decrease the weight of the vehicle, and iPhone mounts created from 3-D printers.