Campus news in brief

Carnegie Mellon University will host its fourth annual Giving Tuesday

On Tuesday, Nov. 29, after students return from Thanksgiving break, Carnegie Mellon will be hosting its fourth annual Giving Tuesday, an event open to the entire Carnegie Mellon community in the U.S. or abroad. The 24-hour event is focused on both philanthropy and volunteering. This year, Carnegie Mellon hopes to raise $1,600 in donations. This would be a 22 percent increase from last year’s Giving Tuesday.

On Tuesday, all gifts that are made online, on the phone, or in person will count towards the event. Any direct mail gifts postmarked before 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 29 can also be counted based on the donor’s intent.

Each college will conduct events throughout the day in Wean Commons in the Cohon Center. There will be a midnight “Plaid-Palooza” until 1 a.m. that will provide students with food and entertainment as well as philanthropic education. Social media challenges will be released throughout the day. Winners of these challenges will be able to randomly select a fund which they would like to see receive a $500 gift.

A group of students will also be selected to participate in unique opportunities such as having lunch with Carnegie Mellon President Subra Suresh or touring the steam tunnels with the Dean of Student Affairs.

The student organization that makes the most donations over $5 will receive a $500 gift.

Kanade Receives 2016 Kyoto Prize for Advanced Technology

On Nov. 10, Takeo Kanade, the UA and Helen Whitaker University Professor of Robotics and Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, received the 2016 Kyoto Prize for Advanced Technology. The ceremony took place in Kyoto, Japan.

The Kyoto Prize for Advanced Technology is given to people who have who have made significant scientific, cultural and spiritual contributions to help humankind. Kanade received his prize for his contributions to computer visions and robotics. The prize comes with a gold medal and a cash award of 50 million yen (approximately $450,000).

Kanade became part of Carnegie Mellon's Robotics Institute and the Computer Science Department in 1980. He was the director of the Robotics Institute from 1992 to 2001.

Kanade is responsible for fundamental discoveries in face detection technology, automated driving, three-dimensional image reconstruction, self-flying helicopters, and the use of video images to estimate the direction and speed of moving objects. In his early years at Carnegie Mellon, Kanade founded and led NavLab, which worked on a vision-based autonomous car. Kanade also co-developed the world’s first direct-drive robot arm, which is now recognized as one of the most advanced robot arm technologies.