Campus news in brief

Carnegie Mellon hosts Family Weekend

Carnegie Mellon’s Family Weekend took place from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2. This event brought together families from all over the world to experience the culture and lifestyle here at Carnegie Mellon University. President Subra Suresh welcomed families and students on Saturday, Oct. 1 in Rangos Ballroom. Following this reception was a wide array of activities including open houses, exhibits, varsity athletic events, and student performances.

Noteworthy events included the ToBoM Demonstrations and Race, the Math & Innovation class with International Math Olympiad Champion Coach, Professor Po Shen Lo, and the Scotch‘n’Soda Cabaret. The ToBoM event took place in the Helex at the Gates Building where community members were invited to race their robots up the long, spiraling Helix. The Math & Innovation class took place in the Danforth Conference Room at the Cohon Center where Professor Po-Shen Loh discussed the innovation of math teams at Carnegie Mellon in relation to the University’s innovation and entrepreneurship. Finally, Friday night’s family weekend events ended with Carnegie Mellon’s Scotch ‘n Soda Cabaret showcasing student performers from across the colleges.

Family weekend was a unique opportunity for Carnegie Mellon families to gather and learn about the university by meeting alumni, faculty, and staff.

Faculty members attend the Andy Awards

Carnegie Mellon’s Annual Andy Award honors staff members who make a lasting impression at the university. These awards are attributed to Commitment to Excellence, Commitment to Students, Innovative and Creative Contributions, Spirit, and Teamwork and Collaboration. From writing books in Electrical Engineering to creating an independent network for the School of Computer Science, this year’s recipients worked incredibly hard to elevate Carnegie Mellon University.

Among these recipients included Christina Cowan who was awarded for her Commitment to Excellence. Cowan was nominated by the Electrical Computer Engineering Administrative Service teamfor developing a vast number of initiatives for the department. Cowan wrote a handbook based on her motto “we should all know” for coordinators to ensure they had access to all information in the department. Kevin Collins was nominated for his commitment to students. He is a career consultant in the School of Computer Science. Other recipients included Pam Wigley, who elevated the School of Drama’s community presence, Patti Steranchak, who created a welcoming environment within the Department of Engineering and Public Policy, and the Network Convergence Team, whose members developed a network-based telephony system for the School of Computer Science. The team consisted of Josh Emerson, Steve Snodgrass, Matt Nickerson, and Ronald Rack.

This year’s recipients continue the culture of progress, community, and innovation here at Carnegie Mellon University.