Sports

Track and field performs well

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams secured victories on Wednesday at the Carnegie Mellon Tri-Meet, where the men took home 11 first-place titles and the women took home six first-place titles.

Men’s Track and Field
The men dominated the competition at home against Allegheny College and Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.

Senior Zachary Erra-Hernandez took home three first-place titles in the shot put, hammer throw, and discus. Erra-Hernandez tossed the shot put 16.01 meters for a season best, reached 52.97 meters in the hammer throw, and threw the discus 41.08 meters. Meanwhile, first-year Jacob Brooks finished first in the javelin throw with a mark of 52.63 meters.

Sophomore Brandon Hoane also took home the first-place title in the triple jump at 12.49 meters, and senior Christopher Holliday snagged first place when he reached 4.25 meters in the pole vault.

First-years Owen Norley and Andrew Chang both took first in their respective events, Norley finishing the 800-meter run with a time of 1:56.21 and Chang finishing the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.73.

Seniors Josh Newby and Kenneth Murphy took first in their respective events as well, Newby with a time of 9:24.23 in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Murphy with a time of 4:04.69 in the 1,500-meter run.

Junior Thomas Vandenberg placed first in the 400-meter run at 48.61, a career best. Vandenberg was also recently named the University Athletic Association (UAA) Athlete of the Week for his performance at the Bucknell Bison Classic on April 12–13. Vandenberg placed sixth at the Classic in the 800-meter race with a time of 1:52.46.

Other notable Carnegie Mellon performances include senior Nathan Creek’s career-best javelin throw of 51.06 meters for third place and a 14.98-meter shot put throw for second place, as well as first-year Don Boyer’s career-best 6.29-meter long jump for third place.

Women’s Track and Field
The women’s track and field team also swept the competition at the Carnegie Mellon Tri-Meet, winning the event with six first-place titles.

Senior Jacqueline Guevel placed first in both the 100-meter hurdles and 400-meter hurdles, with times of 15.37 and 1:04.28, respectively.

Senior Samantha Oleson took first in the javelin throw with a toss of 27.74, a career best. She also accomplished a career best and received second place for tossing the weight throw 41.52 meters.

The Tartans shined in the jumps, with junior Sasha Spalding jumping 5.07 meters in the long jump, first-year Rebecca Fortner jumping 1.50 meters in the high jump, and first-year Karen Irvine reaching 2.90 meters in the pole vault.

Irvine’s mark was a career best. All three women placed first in their events. First-year Sommer Farber placed third in the long jump with a 4.58-meter jump and a career-best mark as well.

"The Mid Week meet has historically always been a very good meet for us," said Assistant Head Coach for the men's and women's track and field teams Gary Aldrich. "Once again we had a number of very good performances from all event groups. Coach [Dario Donatelli] and I believe the performances and the extra time to prepare has set us up well ... for the UAA Outdoor Championships at the University of Chicago this weekend."

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete at the 2014 UAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on April 26 –27.