Women’s and men’s soccer split Sunday double-header

First-year midfielder Matt De Jesus (No. 28) and junior midfielder Jordan Friedlander (No. 9) await a set play. (credit: Business Manager) First-year midfielder Matt De Jesus (No. 28) and junior midfielder Jordan Friedlander (No. 9) await a set play. (credit: Business Manager)

On Sunday, the Carnegie Mellon men’s and women’s soccer teams hosted the University of Rochester in a University Athletic Association (UAA) conference double header.

The fourth-ranked women’s team started off the day on a good note as they recorded their fifth conference victory and 11th shutout of the season with a 5–0 thrashing of the Yellowjackets.
Senior forward Savina Reid started the scoring parade in the 26th minute with her 10th goal of the season coming off of a one-timer over the keeper coming from a cross from first-year forward Sienna Stritter. The Tartans weren’t content to have just a one-goal lead and kept the pressure on when first-year midfielder Tori Iatarola took a shot in the 30th minute. While Iatarola didn’t connect with the back of the net, she did manage to hit the crossbar, and first-year midfielder Morgan Kontor was able to knock in the ensuing rebound for her third goal of the season.

Carnegie Mellon kept the pressure up with Stritter determined to find the back of the net. Finally, on her fourth shot in the span of less than 10 minutes, Stritter was able to knock one past the goalie as she dribbled through the defense and put the ball right between the keeper’s hands in the 40th minute for her third goal of the season.

After coming out of half with a 3–0 lead, Iatarola decided it was her time to finally hit net and scored in the 52nd minute on a one-timer off a cross from first-year defender Katie Strycharz, pushing the lead to four and marking Iatarola’s fourth goal of the season.

The rest of the game was more conservative, as the Tartans took their foot off the gas and focused on just wrapping up their assured victory. The final goal of the match came in the 88th minute when sophomore defender Samantha Smith snuck a long ball past the defense to first-year forward Alyssa Brandt, who took one touch before chipping it over the keeper for her first goal of the season.

With this shutout win, sophomore goalkeeper Katie Liston tied the Carnegie Mellon record for single season records for shutouts (11) and wins (14) and will have one more game to claim both records outright when the Tartans finish up the regular season and UAA play at home on Saturday against Emory University.

The men’s team was up next, but was unable to capitalize on the momentum left behind from the women’s dominance, and they eventually fell 2–1.

The first half was rough for the Tartans, as they did not manage a single shot on goal, but required four saves from their keeper, senior Jacob Rice, to keep the game tied 0–0 going into the half.

Midway through the second half, Carnegie Mellon found some offense through a combination of skill and luck. Sophomore midfielder Tristan Lockwood took the ball toward the goal and scared the Yellowjacket keeper into charging before Lockwood tapped the ball to open first-year forward Ryan Stinebaugh, who didn’t miss the wide open net in front of him for his first goal of the season in the 70th minute.

As the game neared the end, it looked like that one goal would be enough for the Tartans to pull out a victory, but Rochester had other ideas.

In the 84th minute, the Yellowjackets got a lucky bounce on a rebound off of Rice and buried the equalizer before taking the lead, and eventually the win, on a goal in the 86th minute off a set piece header.

The men will be trying to break their 2–2–2 conference record in their final match of the regular and UAA season when they host Emory University as part of the doubleheader on Saturday.