Leave celeb babies alone

Editorials featured in the Forum section are solely the opinions of their individual authors.

Attention; stop the presses, everyone. Blue Ivy Carter, the daughter of Beyoncé and Jay-Z, is reading. At only 13 months.

USA Today and The Huffington Post both reported extensively on the child prodigy’s progress last week. She’s started talking, and with reading thrown into the mix, it’s only a matter of time until Blue Ivy actually takes over the world. She’s already got the greatest parents ever in Beyoncé and Jay-Z, and has been in the spotlight more times than most celebrity babies, so there’s little to stop her.

Once Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s baby is born, the two babies could team up and their world domination would be unavoidable. Imagine the news coverage then: updates on the duo’s outings, their matching outfits, whom they deem worthy to play with. Twitter might explode.

But, seriously, why is this news?

Granted, children usually start reading around the first grade, according to the children’s health section on WebMD.com. So yes, Blue Ivy may be a prodigy, but my point still stands. She’s barely a year old and there have already been too many news stories chronicling her every moment; similarly, there have been a number of articles on the “Kimye” baby, who isn’t even born yet. All in all, it’s a bit ridiculous.

Celebrity news is a million-dollar franchise primarily because people are obsessed with everything and anything celebrity related. In 2012, People magazine had a circulation of 3,637,633, Us Weekly had 1,964,446, and Entertainment Weekly had 1,781,315, according to the Alliance for Audited Media. Those circulation numbers couldn’t be supported if the magazines didn’t have a large net of loyal readership.

So, understandably, celebrities will fill the news cycles; it’s what the people seem to want. It’s a sad truth, but one that I can accept. What I can’t accept, though, is the trend of reporting on celebrity babies. I find it unsettling and creepy.

Imagine what it took to get some of the stories we see on the newsstands. The lengths to which these reporters and photographers go to get these stories is actually insane. There’s dedication and then there’s a violation of privacy and human decency. Think about it: Would you really want your child’s every moment — from conception to birth to toddler years — documented and circulated among millions of people?

And, no, it does not matter that they are celebrities and “they signed up for this.” That argument is flawed in and of itself. The mere fact that someone is famous does not give anyone the right to harass them, pry into their lives, follow them from store to store, or wait outside their house. Regardless of how you feel about celebrities and their right to privacy, their children did not sign up for this. They’re exactly that — children. It’s time to give them some space to grow into normal humans unscarred by the limelight (we all saw how Macaulay Culkin turned out — it wasn’t pretty). Go report on something that actually matters.