Sports

Max Tassano puts three past Bison goalie in victory

Junior forward Max Tassano (No. 9) had a career night against the Bethany College Bison, totaling seven points in the game with three goals and one assist. (credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff) Junior forward Max Tassano (No. 9) had a career night against the Bethany College Bison, totaling seven points in the game with three goals and one assist. (credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff)

The No. 7-ranked men’s soccer team put on a goal-scoring showcase on the back of junior forward Max Tassano’s three goals and one assist, beating the Bethany College Bison 6–2. After the victory, the Tartans’ record sits at 7–1, having won five games straight. The Bison’s record, meanwhile, fell to 1–6.

By keeping up the attack throughout the entire game, the Tartans were able to bury the Bison, scoring three goals in both halves. Carnegie Mellon more than tripled the number of shots on goal the Bison had, winning that statistic 27–8.

Those shots put pressure on the Bison defense all game long and kept the ball away from their offense. But Tassano’s pinpoint shooting kept the Tartans efficient: He scored three times on just three shots. Junior midfielders Chris Wysocki and Matt Sarett led the Tartans with five shots on goal each.

“[Tassano] was a consistent threat the entire game and capitalized on the opportunities he was given,” senior forward Alex Abedian said. “Doing these things are both traits of a high-quality forward.”

Sarrett also scored a goal, along with senior defender Ben Bryant and junior defender Cole Christensen.

Excellent passing helped the Tartans create these scoring opportunities; of the six goals, four were assisted and Tassano, Bryant, Wysocki, and sophomore midfielder Brandon Peck all assisted on goals in the game.

The Bison offense was kept away from the action for most of the game, so junior goalkeeper Christopher Madden was not challenged too much in goal in this bout.
Carnegie Mellon has a history of dominating the Bison, beating Bethany College five consecutive times dating back to the 2008 season.

The Tartans are back on the field at home on Sunday against the Washington University Bears in St. Louis. The game is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m.