Did You Know?

100 years ago: Oct. 3, 1912
The Tartan advertises a need for new female writers to report on happenings at Margaret Morrison College. The ad urges women to be proactive and offer up a piece for publishing instead of complaining about how very little is published about the school.

50 years ago: Sept. 26, 1962
Scaife Hall opens for the fall semester. An aluminum screen surrounding the building is supposed to keep out the sun until 4:30 p.m. every afternoon, due in part to the ceramic tile covering the inside of the building. The science is poorly explained, but it’s nice to know that someone tried to justify that awful bath tile in the stairwells.

25 years ago: Sept. 9, 1987
A column addressing the lacking love lives of students researches male and female interactions on campus. The article calls out women for heading to clusters wearing pajamas, slippers, and athletic gear. The students of 1987 would shudder to see what happens now in Gates 3000.

10 years ago: Sept. 9, 2002
A costly glitch in the dining system allows students access to hundreds of dollars of “free” food and groceries at Skibo, The Original Hot Dog Shop, and the Underground. Students are quick to take advantage by purchasing cases of water, food, and other goods without charge.

5 years ago: Sept. 10, 2007
A second bomb threat of the semester threatens Whitfield Hall, an off-campus administrative building located in Oakland. The threat was sent via email but was not discovered and acknowledged until three days later. Luckily the threat turned out to be fake, but the delayed response seems like a bit of a security issue.

1 year ago: Sept. 12, 2011
Bill Dietrich’s $265 million donation brings a ceremony, college name change, and concert to campus in celebration of one of the largest monetary donations in Carnegie Mellon history. So thank you, Bill. We’re still using your cups every weekend.