El Gallo de Oro shows lack of true health initiative

El Gallo de Oro shows lack of true health initiative (credit: Courtesy of Juan Fernandez) El Gallo de Oro shows lack of true health initiative (credit: Courtesy of Juan Fernandez)

As students begin to trickle back to campus, they may notice the presence of El Gallo de Oro, the new and improved version of Sí Señor.

Kim Abel, the director of Carnegie Mellon Housing and Dining, said to The Tartan last week that El Gallo de Oro will have a very different menu from Sí Señor, and that this is a response to changes desired by the student body.

But, as reported, the new Tex-Mex eatery will have the same vendor and owner, as well as eerily similar food items, such as burritos, quesadillas, and the somewhat out-of-place brownies.

Implementing a new menu in order to have a greater appeal to the students, faculty, and visitors could have been seen as a notable accomplishment — it’s something that every eatery on campus should strive for.

But to say that drastic changes have been made to the restaurant from its unhealthy origins is ridiculous. See for yourselves — El Gallo de Oro has not changed its vendor, its style of food, or its basic menu. It’s the same old Sí Señor, poorly hidden by the new image of El Gallo de Oro.

The low calorie options that are touted by El Gallo de Oro aren’t doing enough to convince students that they’re truly healthy choices. The burrito bowl merely lists what ingredients comprise its 565 calories. Seeing more vegetarian options or additional green snacks besides fresh fruit would possibly help the former Sí Señor’s reputation of being one of the least healthy restaurants on campus.

Hiding behind a different name seems questionable and, frankly, unappetizing. Moreover, if Housing and Dining wanted a healthier Tex-Mex option, why is the classic Sí Señor brownie still offered as a dessert? Why are half of Sí Señor’s menu items still there under different names?

It may be hard to balance the traditional Tex-Mex of Sí Señor and the health craze that many restaurants cater to nowadays. Yet trying to play off both isn’t the solution. Ultimately, a poor combination can leave a bad taste in your mouth.