Murphy gathers feedback for 2012 master plan

Senior economics and statistics and decision science double major Will Weiner was one of the undergraduate students to attend the first of two town hall meetings on the 10-year master plan. (credit: Kate Groschner/) Senior economics and statistics and decision science double major Will Weiner was one of the undergraduate students to attend the first of two town hall meetings on the 10-year master plan. (credit: Kate Groschner/) Participants filled the Posner Center to discuss their likes and dislikes about campus buildings and spaces. (credit: Jonathan Carreon/Photo Editor) Participants filled the Posner Center to discuss their likes and dislikes about campus buildings and spaces. (credit: Jonathan Carreon/Photo Editor)

Campus Design and Facilities Development staff hosted a town hall on Tuesday to gather feedback on campus buildings and spaces from faculty, staff, and students. The comments will help to guide the implementation of the 10-year master plan.

Led by Michael Murphy, Vice President for Campus Affairs, the town hall filled the Posner Center with around 35 participants. Murphy opened by noting that the extensive expansions in the plan were more of a idealized blueprint than concrete changes.

He added that it would be unusual if more than half of the ideas were implemented. The rest of the discussion gathered opinions on what "worked" on campus and what should be avoided.

Mathematics Teaching Professor John Mackey made the first comment by saying "a perspective that's often missing form these discussion is that of the undergraduate student body," before highlighting the five undergraduates who were present at the town hall.

The plan, which was first made public last March, could lead to new academic buildings and significant alterations to Forbes Avenue. The plan needs to be reviewed by both the Pittsburgh city planning commission and city council.

A second meeting is scheduled for next Thursday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., also in the Posner Center.