Men lose in the second round of NCAAs

Junior midfielder Chris Wysocki (No. 4) steals the ball from Morrisville in the Tartans’ first round of NCAAs. (credit: Jonathan Carreon/Photo Editor) Junior midfielder Chris Wysocki (No. 4) steals the ball from Morrisville in the Tartans’ first round of NCAAs. (credit: Jonathan Carreon/Photo Editor)

The men’s soccer team began post-season play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday against Morrisville State College. The Tartans defeated the Morrisville Mustangs with a final score of 3–0.

The first half of the game was fortuitous for the Tartans with 10 attempted shots; however, they weren’t able to connect with the goal until the second half. Shots were taken by senior defender Ben Bryant, junior midfielder Matt Sarett, senior midfielder John Crawshaw, junior forward Scott Gerfen, junior midfielder Mike Ferraco, and junior forward Max Tassano.

The Mustangs were only able to attempt two shots — both of which were saved by Carnegie Mellon junior keeper Christopher Madden.

The second half proved to be the moment of opportunity for the Tartans to put some goals on the scoreboard. Within the first minute and 57 seconds of the second half, Gerfen assisted junior midfielder Chris Wysocki for the first goal of the night into an open net.

Just less than three minutes later, Crawshaw scored his fourth goal of the season off an assist from Ferraco from the left sideline.

Within the next 21 minutes of play, Morrisville State was able to get off one unsuccessful shot before first-year midfielder Connor Webb took a square shot to assist sophomore defender Brandon Peck in his first goal of the season, and the final one of the game. Morrisville State only took a total of three shots in the second half of the game due to the Tartans’ strong defense.

In the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, the Tartans were defeated by the Ohio Northern Polar Bears, 3–1.

Carnegie Mellon started the first half off strong with three attempted shots by Crawshaw, Tassano, and Bryant before Wysocki scored the Tartans’ first and only goal of the night off an assist from Sarett. Just seven minutes later, the Polar Bears answered with their first goal of the night and the final goal of the half.

In the remainder of the first half, Carnegie Mellon continued to take one more shot, while Ohio Northern took five.

Within the first 11 minutes of the second half, the Polar Bears scored their second goal. No more than two minutes later, they headed in another goal off a corner kick.

Madden had two of his four overall saves in the second half, which kept Ohio Northern from scoring again. The Tartans continued to take four more shots, but were unsuccessful in every attempt.

“Although we lost today in the second round of the NCAA tournament, I’m extremely proud as a captain of this team,” Bryant said. “We had a very successful season, and unfortunately things just didn’t go our way tonight.”

The Tartans finished their season with a record of 13–4–1, while Ohio Northern continues on in the NCAA Tournament to play Susquehanna University.

“As a team, we are returning all but two players next year, so there are only greater things to come of this team. The focus is now on fall of 2013,” Bryant said.