Perpetrators damage Fence a second time

Students once again gather around the Fence to repair it. (credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff) Students once again gather around the Fence to repair it. (credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff) Credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff Credit: Alan Vangpat/Layout Staff

The Fence was subject to vandalism on the night of June 22 for the second time this year, as someone used what appeared to be a saw along multiple areas to cut off layers of paint. About 20 students gathered at midnight the following night to cover up the damage by repainting the Fence. The perpetrator also wrote a message on one of the Fence’s posts that said, “Hey CMYou you are a babe! NOT... Just kidding or am I? Now get back to studying...weirdos...”

Clare Graziano, a senior drama major and an Andrew Ambassador for the university, explained that she and the other ambassadors first noticed the damage the morning of June 23. With university officials’ permission, Graziano helped organize another repainting of the Fence. “We wanted to make sure the Fence was ready as a positive message for the pre-college students when they arrive on Saturday,” she said.

Gina Casalegno, the Dean of Student Affairs, said in an e-mail, “The actions taken by students thus far to repair and repaint the structure are ones I applaud. One of the hallmarks of the Fence tradition is the way in which it is grass-roots organized and implemented, and to have students engaged in the response to such an incident is well-placed and appropriate. As such, any discussion of possible steps to take from here would be ones I would like to engage and involve student leadership in considering, which I intend to do as more hopefully emerges from the investigation.”

Will Weiner, a junior social and decision sciences and statistics double major and a Student Senator, reinforced this emphasis on student leadership. “Something student government is going to look into is to see if we can use some sort of security camera around here or some sort of security feature, so that’s going to be one of the higher priorities when school gets into session, if not this summer,” he said. “[It’s] something we want to look into to see if there’s a way we can get some sort of protection because ultimately that’s part of our job, to protect our campus.”

Despite the circumstances, the overall attitude of the evening was positive. Weiner said, “I said this last time, and I’ll say it again: It’s awesome to see so many people are coming out in support of this — in such short notice, in the summer, with finals tomorrow — from all different divisions of the school.”