Did You Know?

100 YEARS AGO

April 5, 1911

“Run a small ventilating fan for 21 hours,” “carry you three miles in an electric brougham,” and “clean 75 pairs of boots” are all items that appear in a list this week of “What a kilowatt hour of electricity will do.” There is no mention, unfortunately, of homework.

50 YEARS AGO

March 29, 1961

A questionnaire asks, “Do you think that at 65 you will prefer to retire or work as long as you can be an asset?” A majority of students in each of Tech’s colleges say they prefer to work — except business majors, who are split 50–50. Let’s see what those 70-year-old slackers are up to today.

**25 YEARS AGO **

April 8, 1986

Tartans’ hearts collectively skip a beat this month, as a miscommunication with the city of Pittsburgh delays the necessary permits for Buggy practice. Permits were eventually issued, and Sweepstakes 1986 went on as planned as soon as the Buggy chairs stopped hyperventilating.

10 YEARS AGO

April 9, 2001

U.S. News & World Report ranks Carnegie Mellon’s computer engineering program first in the nation, ahead of MIT and Stanford. In an interview, the head of the electrical and computer engineering department compared the No. 1 ranking to winning the Super Bowl. Fewer riots, though.

FIVE YEARS AGO

April 3, 2006

A community discussion in Donner Hall focuses on “interest and ignorance” on the increasingly popular Facebook site. The big talking point was students’ careless posting of too much information.

ONE YEAR AGO

April 5, 2010

The university’s 6:30 Jazz Ensemble performs with two other jazz groups in a Carnegie Music Hall concert. Cool riffs and hot solos were there in abundance; it was just the audience that was missing. One of the student performers said it best: “No one showed up, but whatever.”