100 years ago
Sept. 28, 1910
A blurb mentions that the former editor-in-chief of The Tartan will not return to Carnegie Tech, to the dismay of the current staff. He was in charge during the last month of the previous year before deciding even he couldn’t stand reading the paper anymore.

50 years ago
Sept. 28, 1960
A comic where two characters nearly die while river rafting ends with them laughing off their near-death experience and lighting up a Viceroy cigarette to ease the tension. Ah, how I yearn for the days when smoking cigarettes wasn’t banned on 90 percent of the campus.

25 years ago:
Sept. 24, 1985
Comedian Yakov Smirnoff performed and answered questions on Carnegie Mellon’s campus the previous week to the delight of many students. This made me wonder: If Carnegie Mellon was under Soviet control, would The Tartan read you?

10 years ago
Sept. 25, 2000
A front-page story informs students that Ralph Nader would be lecturing on campus the next day on the topic of global commerce. In an unrelated story, Al Gore lost his bid to speak on campus to George Bush by just a few percentage points.

5 years ago
Sept. 26, 2005
The SciTech section features a “How Things Work” article on the subject of laughter. Only at Carnegie Mellon can such a simple pleasure like giggling or yukking it up with some friends be deemed necessary to be researched.

1 year ago
Sept. 28, 2009
Gluttony was on display this week in history at Carnegie Mellon’s Donut Dash, a combination of an eating and running competition where individual participants must eat a dozen donuts during a two-mile run. This is truly what makes America great.