100 years ago
Sept. 21, 1910
This issue updates students on “the passing of some of our institution’s most able professors.” Thankfully, the four men listed didn’t die over the summer; they just moved on to other universities. If my jokes don’t get any better, someone will have to write about my own passing as a writer.

50 years ago
Sept. 28, 1960
The U.S. presidential election of 1960 is approaching, and The Tartan makes note of a plea that faculty members avoid making statements about anything that could be significant on the ballot. Looks like Nixon predated his Watergate scandal with some Carnegie Mellon-based silencing attempts. .

25 years ago
Sept. 10, 1985
The words “Pirates” and “pennant race” were used together in a headline in the Sports section. The content of the article was deemed unimportant, as the Pirates have been terrible for almost two decades now.

10 years ago
Sept. 5, 2000
A fall movie preview article in the Entertainment section announces an upcoming film called Unbreakable directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Oh, how I yearn for the days when people actually considered Shyamalan a good director.

5 years ago
Aug. 29, 2005
Apparently, the wonderful “trucks” didn’t always line Margaret Morrison Street. They used to be on Tech Street outside Posner! Allegedly, Housing and Dining had no input on the decision. I smell something fishy, though, and it reeks just like Carnegie Mellon’s food did prior to CulinArt.

1 year ago
Aug. 31, 2009
A Forum article notes that a recent graduate of Monroe College is suing her alma mater after she failed to find a job within four months after graduation. Perhaps it was this sharp business acumen that caused each of her potential employers to slam the door in her face.