Everything you need to know

Dear Rohit,

Senior slide is starting to kick in. I’m usually extremely productive, but I seem to spend all my time procrastinating, waiting for the day when I can get out of here. How can I finish strongly this semester?

—Taken by Senioritis

Dear Taken,

I can relate. My friends have senioritis cases so advanced that it took a lot of effort to find time to crank out this article in between listening to their symptoms. Hour-long lectures seem to last for weeks. Homework assignments feel like they should be illegal under the Geneva Convention. In short, everything is harder.

Whatever causes this malady, there’s only one thing that I can suggest to combat it. Just keep plugging away at it. They call it a senior slide for a reason. Once you start sliding, it’s hard to stop. Try to cure this disease before it’s too late. If this means planning weekly study hours or even working on the weekends, then so be it.

If there’s anything to work toward, it’s post-college laziness. I’ve heard from several sources that the work after Carnegie Mellon is comparatively a breeze. So look forward to brighter, lazier days ahead. Just don’t do it here. It doesn’t work, regardless of your year.

With a D (for diploma),

—Rohit

Dear Rohit,

**I decided the other day that I’m going on a diet. I’m currently about 40 or 50 pounds overweight and would like to know some suggestions about how to lose some inches. **

—Lean in Wean

Dear Lean,

Often I hear disbelief from the skinny crowd as to how obese people can’t just stop eating and lose weight. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy. It’s not so much about quantity as it is about quality. The hardest part of your dieting won’t be the bad taste of healthy food, or even hunger. The real challenge is remembering you’re on a diet in the first place.

Think about it. For the past 20 years, you’ve probably developed some pretty nasty eating habits that are sabotaging any plans you have for losing weight. My downfall is French fries. I would eat them night and day if I didn’t care about the social consequences. Your job is to find your “French fries” equivalent.

In the end, the question will come down to whether you want to give up your habits. Personally, if I had to choose between French fries and the perfect body, I would pick French fries even before knowing what else I had to choose from. Hopefully, you’re better than that.

Don’t fry it up,

— Rohit