100 Years Ago
Feb. 9, 1910
A rumor went around campus the previous Friday that a student was going away for a week for what was called “a case of matrimony.” Well, that’s funny; today we just call that a life sentence.

50 Years Ago
Feb. 10, 1960
The Student Council is sponsoring a square dance for students and their friends this weekend. Never before have I heard a more appropriately titled social event for Carnegie Mellon students. Get it? Because we’re squares!

25 Years Ago
Feb. 12, 1985
A large monolith with proportions 1:4:9 appeared on the Cut this week as a promotion for a fraternity party. How many public-school fraternities do you think have used a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference to get partygoers?

10 Years Ago
Feb. 7, 2000
Campus Housing, AB, and SDC joined forces to provide campus residents with a movie channel as a pilot program to gauge student interest. One way to ensure a positive response? Give us Skinemax and watch on-campus housing interest skyrocket.

5 Years Ago
Feb. 14, 2005
This week, Carnegie Mellon won a $26.4 million grant from the U.S. government to design the Gladiator Tactical Unmanned Ground Vehicle. The one-ton, remote-controlled vehicle is yet another positive step toward the coming of the robot revolution.

1 Year Ago
Feb. 9, 2009
JuicyCampus.com, a college gossip website, was shut down for good this week due to problems generating revenue. It’s truly shocking that people wouldn’t pay to hear that my outfit last Thursday was so last year.