Football loses in OT to Wash. U.

The Carnegie Mellon football team closely missed a conference win against Washington University in St. Louis, falling in overtime 20–13 last Saturday in St. Louis. The Tartans managed to rush for 228 yards, with sophomore Patrick Blanks running for 85 yards. Senior Mike Shedlosky led the defensive side with eight tackles and one interception during the second quarter. The Cardinal and Gray moves to 4–4 overall and 0–1 for UAA play.

Wash. U. won the toss and let Carnegie Mellon receive. After three turnovers, the Tartans advanced 30 yards, resulting in senior Justin Pratt moving the ball into the Bears’ end zone with 3:13 on the clock. Senior kicker Eliot Carnevale missed the extra point, putting the Tartans ahead 6–0 at the close of the first quarter.
Wash. U. wasted no time in moving down the field during the first three minutes of the second quarter, gaining 13 yards in three plays before the Bears’ Jim O’Brien scored a 19-yard touchdown to tie the score 6–6 after a blocked field extra point attempt by senior Richard Pattison.

Carnegie Mellon turned up the heat with aggressive offensive plays toward the Wash. U. goal line, including a sack for loss of 16 yards by sophomore Owen Parker and sophomore Nick Karabin’s fumble recovery to score the second touchdown for the Tartans.

Carnevale’s kick was good, and the Tartans regained the lead 13–6 with 7:28 left. Strong Tartan defense and an interception by Shedlosky kept the Bears at bay until the beginning of the fourth quarter.

The Tartans were in good shape heading into the final quarter of the game, but four turnovers later Wash. U. earned three first downs and completed a seven-play, 63-yard touchdown to even the scoreboard.

With only 1:10 left on the clock, Carnegie Mellon was unable to return fire to end the game, prompting the Tartans’ second overtime game this year.
Wash. U. started on the Carnegie Mellon 25-yard line and rushed the ball 35 yards past the Tartans’ defensive line to change the score to 20–13 and effectively end the game.

The Tartans will continue conference play this Saturday against the University of Chicago. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. at Gesling Stadium.