Women’s soccer wins in OT 3–2

The Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer team traveled to Chicago last week for its first conference game, after a 3–2 win against Grove City College. The Tartans opened their University Athletic Association conference play with a loss against the University of Chicago Maroons in a tight 2–1 decision.

The Tartans topped the Grove City Wolverines in a 3–2 double-overtime game. The Wolverines struck first off junior Emily Hurley’s goal three minutes into the second half. The Tartans struck back with junior Elsa Wu’s third goal of the season. Wu scored off first-year Alex Venegas’ corner kick in the 66th minute of play.
Sophomore Brianna Ma-gill assisted first-year Cecilia Zischkau's goal, which gave the Tartans a 2–1 lead within seven minutes of Wu’s goal. But the Wolverines retaliated with another Hurley goal to tie the game with 14 minutes of play left in the second half. In the first half of overtime, neither team was able to put it in the goal, but in the second, the Tartans scored to give them the win. The Tartans outshot the Wolverines 30–12 as senior goalkeeper Anya Rose made three saves, and Grove City’s keeper Tiffany Yost made 12.

In their first conference game, the Tartans’ expectations were high, coming off of their monumental overtime game. The Maroons bested the Tartans in a close 2–1 contest that was decided in the first half.

Within the first 17 minutes of play, the Maroons struck first with a goal by Emily Benoit. Benoit scored off a 12-yard pass from Sarah Loh. The Tartan’s Wu answered with her fourth goal of the season, three minutes later. Wu scored from 15 yards out.

The Maroons’ Loh scored in the 32nd minute of play to put Chicago up 2–1. Loh tapped the shot past Rosen after the shot hit the crossbar. Loh’s goal was the game winner, though there was still a half to play. In the second half, the Tartans were unable to counter the Maroons to tie the game.

The Tartans shot nine more times and almost found net for five of them, but were unable to put it in the goal. The Tartans were also outshot 12–9, 8–4 in the first half. Rosen finished the game with two saves, while the Maroons’ goalkeeper Emma Gormley finished the game with four saves.

With their loss, the Tartans fell to 6–4, and 0–1 in conference, while the Maroons improved to 6–3–1.

The Tartans host Washington University for their next game on Sunday, at 11 a.m.