Invented satisfies fan demands

Jim Adkins and Tom Linton of Jimmy Eat World play at Schlachthof in Wiesbaden, Germany in 2008. (credit: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons) Jim Adkins and Tom Linton of Jimmy Eat World play at Schlachthof in Wiesbaden, Germany in 2008. (credit: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

Jimmy Eat World could be a high school senior this year, scrambling to make deadlines for early-decision college applications. He could be sneaking out of windows on weekends or planning for that last epic spring break trip with his friends. Instead, in his 17 years, he’s whipped out seven albums and seven extended plays, gone through eight labels, and experimented with a few genres, all the while gaining fans across the world.

The band’s eponymous debut album, Jimmy Eat World, was released under Wooden Blue Records and had a punk rock sound, but the band quickly progressed to emocore by its second album, Static Prevails, released under Capitol Records. The group’s third studio album was Clarity, also released under Capitol. Clarity was considered a commercial failure upon its release, resulting in the band’s drop from Capitol Records, but it has since gained critical acclaim and cult status. Then came Bleed American, the band’s most successful album to date, released under Dreamworks. The band’s second single, “The Middle,” took over mainstream airwaves, which jump-started the band to mainstream success. The album was certified platinum by the RIAA. By then, Jimmy Eat World had transitioned into the alternative rock genre. Later on, however, the band became more rock than alternative, as evidenced by the albums Futures and Chase This Light.

The band’s newest album, Invented, has all the charm of classic Jimmy Eat World. The first single, “My Best Theory,” is reminiscent of songs from Bleed American, with a strong guitar presence and lyrics about individuality.

Perhaps the best song off the album is the title track “Invented” — a somber ballad combined with a dramatic midsection that fades back into the soft, heart-wrenching honesty that is Jimmy Eat World.

Although it’s safe to say that there are no disappointing tracks on this album, some are more notable than others, including “Stop,” “Movielike,” and “Coffee And Cigarettes.”

Invented is unmistakably Jimmy Eat World, to the point that any track from this new album could have been found on the group’s previous two. That isn’t to say that the lack of progression takes anything away from the talent that is Jimmy Eat World. There is a reason why the band is so popular, and for the group to continue with the sounds that make it popular isn’t something fans should hold against it. The emotion is there, as well as the clever lyrics and soulful structure, which all combine into one album that cannot possibly let fans down. However, one might worry that in the coming years, Jimmy will become the awkward 30-year-old man who envisions himself as the high-school rock star he never became, stuck playing pop-punk songs from his youth. Although Jimmy Eat World’s music is far beyond that, it has the emotion and angst that appeals to the heartbroken teen, and if he isn’t careful, Jimmy just might get stuck in his teenage years while all his classmates move on to bigger and better places.