Women’s soccer ends difficult two weeks with losses to NYU, Brandeis, Wash. U.

The Carnegie Mellon U women’s soccer team has had a rough start in conference play. The Tartans stand at 0–4 in conference and 6–7 for the season.

The Tartans dropped a tough game to the Washington University Bears in a 4–0 decision on Oct. 10. The Tartans had five shots to begin the game before the 22nd minute of play, but the Bears’ Kate Doyle fed Allie Bentley the ball and scored on Tartan senior goalkeeper Anya Rosen, who tried to cut off the pass.

All three of the Bears’ remaining goals came in the second period. The Bears’ final goal came in the 88th minute, when Lee Ann Felder passed Jessica Johnson the ball. Johnson beat Rosen, who was charging forward, for her second goal of the game. Sophomore Brianna Magill’s three shots were on net and sophomore Lissie Arndt tried for two. The Tartans finished the game with 12 shots.

On Oct. 15, the Tartans dropped a 1–0 contest to the 23rd-ranked Brandeis University Judges. The Tartans had two shots on goal, out of four shots in the first half, but were unable to get them past Brandeis goalkeeper, Francine Kofinas.

In the second period, the Judges scored in the first two minutes of a corner kick, when Tiffany Pacheco’s corner kick bent into the net and passed Tartan first-year goalkeeper Anna Albi. The Tartans had three more opportunities to score, but Kofinas stopped them and delivered a shutout.
The Tartans took on the New York University Violets in New York on Oct. 17, losing in a 2–1 decision. The Violets stuck first in the ninth minute of play on a free kick from 25 yards out that hit just under the crossbar in the middle of the net.

The Tartans struck back with a goal from first-year Alex Venegas, who leads the team with five goals this season, two minutes later. Senior Alice Mayfield had the assist on the shot, which came from outside the box and made it in the top left corner. Junior Nicole Bayley’s shot on goal was saved by New York’s goalkeeper who dived for the save, which sent the teams tied heading into half.

In the second period, Mayfield almost scored to give the Tartans a lead, but her shot, which came within the first 10 minutes, hit the crossbar. New York was able to score once more in the 76th minute when Serra Tumay scored on a free kick.

Two Tartans attempted to even the score, but junior Elsa Wu’s shots flew wide and Venegas and sophomore Mitra Ebrahimi had blocked shots.
The Tartans have a bye week before they host the Case Western Reserve University Spartans on Friday at 5 p.m.