100 years ago
Oct. 12, 1910
This issue contains a blurb congratulating the University of Pittsburgh for establishing its first weekly newspaper, The Pitt Weekly. We always knew that Carnegie Mellon would triumph over Pitt at something; we just hoped it would be in athletics.

**50 years ago **
Oct. 12, 1960
An advertisement for a Swingline stapler caught my eye in this week’s issue of The Tartan. Some people truly do prefer the Swingline to the Boston brand of staplers. Beware: If you steal a co-worker’s Swingline, he or she might retaliate by setting the building on fire.e.

**25 years ago **
Oct. 8, 1985
Apparently, Carnegie Mellon was part of a consortium of Pittsburgh businesses that owned the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1985 to 1996. Well, at least Carnegie Mellon was only partially responsible for the first five of 18 consecutive losing seasons.

10 years ago
Oct. 9, 2000
It appears that 10 years ago the “Did you know?” section was given about double the space that it is given today. It truly is a tragedy that these musings are contained in such a small space. I believe I now know why the caged bird sings...

**5 years ago **
Oct. 10, 2005
A Forum writer explains how she fell in love with the Pittsburgh Pirates after spending the previous summer in Pittsburgh. Other things this writer pines for include Cs on exams, fourth-place finishes in races, bad hair days, and... well, you get the idea.

1 year ago
Oct. 12, 2009
An article in Pillbox examines the increasing amount of attention Hollywood executives have been paying to Pittsburgh, what with all the movies and TV shows being filmed here. Too bad the article doesn’t mention the programs’ low budgets.