New Year’s resolutions: Overcome failure

It’s a new year, a time of celebration, and that means we forget all the bad and fondly recall only the good from 2009. Last year is no more, and to prove it many people mark the occasion by making New Year’s resolutions. These are statements meant to inspire everyone to accomplish some sort of goal over the course of 2010. Sometimes people stick with them and lose those extra 20 pounds but most people forget about them by the end of January and dig into their super fudge deluxe ice cream with fervor. As a result of this, let’s take a shot at deconstructing some of the more common recurring resolutions and why people fail at keeping up with them. Hold on tight, people, this could get dicey.

Spend more time with family and friends

The resolution: This is a classic. According to a poll done by www.newsfeedresearcher.com, 50 percent of Americans vow this every year. And why not? There are 24 hours in a day, and it would be nice to cut a slice out of every week to reach out and reconnect with people you are supposedly close to.

Why we fail: Ever come back after a time away from home and immediately wish you were gone again? Yeah, that’s why people can’t spend more than a few minutes a day with their families. Don’t forget the fact that you are the most important person in your life. Alone time is key to staying sane in this world.

Keep fit, lose weight, eat healthier

The resolution: Let’s face it, Americans are fat. Sometimes even ridiculously fat. In fact, according to The New York Times health guide, roughly two-thirds of Americans are considered overweight or obese. Riding a bike, walking some odd miles each day, or even eating an apple instead of that cobbler are great ways to get rid of that gut.

Why we fail: Nobody actually wants to be fat, yet every year there are more and more unhealthy people around. People just cannot control themselves. You tell yourself one cookie per week, then it ends up being two or 12. You lose five pounds, then celebrate with chocolate cake. It’s as if people are predisposed to obsessing over the unhealthiest foods.

Learn something new

The resolution: Working on a new skill is never a bad idea. We are curious people at heart who enjoy experiencing new things and becoming talented in different ways. The world is filled with interesting theories, items, and places that are just begging for you to learn about them.

Why we fail: The problem with this one is that it is too broad. For example, did you know that the Times Square ball that drops every year weighs 11,875 pounds and descends 77 feet starting at 11:59 p.m.? No, you didn’t, so you just learned something new. Has the resolution been accomplished? Technically it has, so by mid-January people will forget their ultimate dream of learning how to build the Titanic out of toothpicks and go about life as if their resolution was never even made.

Here’s to hoping your New Year’s resolution is a little more attainable so your 2010 doesn’t turn into a tailspin or flameout of all your hopes and dreams.