Everything you need to know

Dear Rohit,

I think I might be too picky when it comes to dating. I never seem to like guys around campus. Sometimes I think it’s better just to be alone than to settle for someone, but what if my expectations are too high?

—Seeing No One Better

Dear SNOB,

Firstly, you are not the only one with this problem. Carnegie Mellon has a history with this sort of thing. If you’re searching for a relationship, I don’t think there’s any reason to waste your time with someone you’re just not feeling a connection with. It’s hard enough to find somebody worth dating, and when you factor in your orientation, college, and personal tastes, the dating pool continues to shrink.

Are you looking exclusively at Carnegie Mellon? There’s a whole city of boys out there just waiting to meet someone like you. I’d also suggest looking around online — you may be surprised at how much more open people can be about their preferences on the Internet. You shouldn’t really be worried about having high standards. It’s good to be picky, but you should always remember to give people a chance. You never know, the one you supposedly settled for could turn out to be the one you were looking for all along!

Someone special is near,

—Rohit

Dear Rohit,

There is this guy that keeps showing up everywhere I go. He doesn’t talk to me or anything, but it’s kind of unnerving to see him all the time. I don’t know what I should tell him because I don’t know if he’s doing it on purpose or what his intentions are. Can you help?

—Scared of Stalkers

Dear SOS,

I am here to help you. That’s what I am paid for. Well, actually, I don’t get paid, but that’s not the point. How many times has Mr. Stalker crossed your path? If it’s more than five times a week, the probability of that being a coincidence is negligible, as our fine statistic students would say.

If so, you probably do have a stalker on your hands. You should have one of your guy friends, preferably a football player if that is an option, have a talk with him and figure out what his issue is.

Maybe he’s harmless and wants to be friends but is too shy to approach you. It is up to you to decide whether to pursue that friendship or not. If he continues to bother you, do let me know.

Be safe and sensible,

—Rohit