Women's Soccer Begins Season 1-3

The Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer team is off to somewhat of a rocky start this season, losing their season opener at home and playing to a 1–3 record through their first four games. The Tartans fell 1–0 against Denison University on Sept. 1, followed by a 3–0 win over Oberlin Sept. 4, a 5–4 loss to Centenary College, and a 2–0 defeat at the hands of Johns Hopkins University.

Opening the season at home, the Tartans played well against Denison in a game in which the winning — and only — goal wasn’t scored until the 75th minute. First-year keeper Becca Gold performed well, saving three shots while allowing just the one goal, scored by Denison’s Kim Oshita.

The Tartans managed to pull off four shots, including two shots on goal, but couldn’t beat the clock in the well-played game. Their best chances both came in the second half, when sophomore Elsa Wu managed to take two shots, with one shot on goal in the 48th minute, and first-year Katie Davis kicked a shot on goal in the 55th minute, but both attempts were rendered fruitless by Denison keeper Courtney Cobb.

Against Oberlin, the Tartans had control of the ball most of the game en route to their 3–0 win. In the first half, senior Casey Garth and sophomore Carmen Easterwood each had two shots, while sophomore Nicole Bayley and junior Adrienne Pajer each took one. Pajer’s shot nearly went in as she took Bayley’s rebound and directed it at the goal, but the shot was blocked.

The Tartans scored all three goals in the second half, starting when Katie Davis scored in the 56th minute off a pass from Wu for her first career goal. Wu scored herself four minutes later after junior Caroline Danka’s shot was blocked, but not held, by Oberlin keeper Christie Zelnik. Junior Emily Overstreet also scored, in the 79th minute, off a pass from Bayley. The Tartans’ defense was stalwart, not allowing Oberlin to take any shots the entire game.

The uplifting win, however, was followed by a tough loss on Friday at the hands of Centenary. The back-and-forth affair started with the Lady Cyclones scoring in the 12th minute. Roughly a minute later, Tartans sophomore Korinne Mills tied the score with her first career goal, knocking in the rebound off a corner kick. Centenary’s Jazmine Farrell, however, quickly took back the lead with her second goal of the game in the 21st minute. Her goal held up until one second before halftime, when Carnegie Mellon first-year Lissie Arndt kicked the ball over the keeper’s head to tie the score at 2.

Once again, though, Farrell took the momentum back with her third goal of the game in the 59th minute, and her goal was quickly followed by another Centenary score to make it 4–2. The Tartans once again fought back by scoring two quick goals of their own, with sophomore Ava Murphey putting in Garth’s rebound in the 64th minute and Overstreet kicking one in from 20 yards back a minute later. Unfortunately, two and a half minutes later, Centenary scored their fifth goal to put the game away and end the see-saw scoring.

Finally, on Saturday, the Tartans played their fourth match of the season against Hopkins. The game was somewhat reminiscent of the Tartans’ game against Oberlin, as the first goal was not scored until 42:52 into the game, when the Blue Jays’ Ava Scheininger headed the ball past the Tartans’ keeper, junior Anya Rosen. Hopkins then scored again in the 51st minute to secure the 2–0 win. Aside from the two goals allowed, Rosen played a solid goalie, saving seven shots.
The women’s soccer team will next play Sept. 19 against number 25 Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio.