100 years ago
April 14, 1909

An article documents the advances of “moving pictures in colors.” After mentioning the success of the Lumiere brothers in creating color photography, the article explains how coloring in new films will occur. While films are advancing, the movie industry is still struggling with other effects. Customers, for instance, were somewhat disappointed with the distribution of “2-D glasses” during a presentation of The Great Train Robbery.

50 years ago
April 15, 1959

The new Coed of the Week is Pat Reuter, a sophomore home economics major. As part of the bond between the Philip Morris Company and The Tartan, Pat will receive a free carton of Marlboro cigarettes. No qualifications for candidates are mentioned, but it’s obvious that those who voted forthe smoking ban would not be under consideration.

25 years ago
April 16, 1984

A want ad seeks several young bachelors/bachelorettes to participate in the Spring Carnival’s rendition of The Dating Game. The game offers “a chance to win a date with your very own woman/man of your very own choice.” Given the fairly recent release of the Culture Club single, any contestants asking “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?” will be immediately disqualified and subsequently handed over to Pittsburgh authorities.

10 years ago
April 19, 1999

It’s Carnival time! With the theme of children’s books, organizations built several impressive booths. Delta Upsilon, a fraternity formerly at Carnegie Mellon, won with their construction of Where’s Waldo? The booth’s exterior was actually a huge head of Waldo, entirely ruining the question the book poses. Phi Kappa Theta grabbed second place with The Wizard of Oz, and KGB took third with Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Several notable omissions in books were Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals and Everybody Poops.

1 year ago
April 14, 2008

A smattering of political speakers invades Carnegie Mellon. First on the list is Chelsea Clinton, who will be speaking on Midway. During the speech, all work on booths will be brought to a standstill. In other words, all booth leaders of organizations will immediately turn into Republicans. Speaking of which, John McCain will speak an hour later in the Wiegand Gym. As all recreational sports will be banned during this time, this means that all badminton players will immediately turn liberal. Politics can certainly be a turbulent subject.