100 Years Ago
Nov. 10, 1909
In the Pertinent and Impertinent section, it is announced that “the new cover design for The Tartan has been chosen.” Judging by the fact that this was given just a small blurb on a back page, it is obvious that the current staff of The Tartan has clearly taken some hints from the 1909 staff.

50 Years Ago
Nov. 11, 1959
Carnegie Tech won its ninth game in a row the past weekend, putting them one win away from their first undefeated season. An amazing achievement indeed for the Tech players, considering that they lost multiple players during the game to injuries such as boo-boos and ouchies.

25 Years Ago
Nov. 13, 1984
Activities Board presents a lecture titled “An Evening with the Playboy Advisor,” which was funded by the student activities fee. If there ever were a time for AB lectures to look into the past for a fantastic idea that they could revive one more time, this would be one to consider.

10 Years Ago
Nov. 8, 1999
The university calendar lists one of the campus events as flu shots for students. Ironically (at least now), there is a picture of a pig at the top and bottom of the page. Apparently, someone was able to foreshadow our current swine flu predicament.

5 Years Ago
Nov. 8, 2004
Several Pittsburgh students staged a hunger strike outside Mellon Arena to protest the Ringling Brothers Circus’ treatment of their animals. Now, I love animals as much as anyone else, but I can’t look at this quote from a Carnegie Mellon student — “The hunger strike left me uncomfortable and hungry” — and not laugh a little.

1 Year Ago
Nov. 10, 2008
A Forum piece invokes both Dawson’s Creek and J.D. Salinger in the same breath. Surprisingly, the world did not implode. However, the writer then relays an important message about keeping one’s goals in sight and keeping people up until 5 a.m. just by talking about them. After that, I almost forgive the writer for the Salinger/Dawson crossover.