100 Years Ago
Lehigh and Carnegie Tech were rivals back in the day, and this week’s edition of The Tartan lists the average age, height, and weight of the two teams’ football players. The average Tech player is 21 years old, 5’9’’, and weighs 166 lbs., while the average Lehigh player is 22 years old, a whopping 5’11’’, and 174 lbs. I miss the days of the pre-steroid era when Skinny McSkinnyguy lobbed passes to Shorty McShorterson.

50 Years Ago
Skibo cafeteria is being demolished! No, not the one in the University Center — sorry, fans of Ginger’s — but the former Skibo, which used to be located where Hunt Library currently stands. You can tell how much stock a school puts in its academics when it starts eliminating food options in favor of books.

25 Years Ago
The Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) fraternity was dismissed from campus this week following a hearing about a brawl between brothers and members of the Korean Students Association. The university and fraternity advisors claimed that ZBT failed to provide a safe environment for other students. It is unknown what will happen to ZBT’s 37 pledges, but chances are they did not go out for MMA wrestling.

10 Years Ago
An article on CampusLink, a phone service that has a $150 call limit, decries that the system is a rip off for Carnegie Mellon students. Among the charges are high prices, late fees, and late — in some cases no — notification of bill payments, leading to greater late fees. Sounds like the Pittsburgh Parking Authority modeled their fines system on CampusLink’s.

5 Years Ago
The showing of the film Fahrenhype 9/11, which rebuts many of the claims made in Michael Moore’s documentary Fahrenheit 9/11, precedes a lecture that is to be given by Moore himself later in the week. Those silly people: When will they ever learn how to spell? Or perhaps it’s supposed to be a clever pun.

1 Year Ago
“How Things Work” chronicles exactly how IMAX films work. Surprisingly, it isn’t magic. In fact, 215 lb. cameras whose motors emit 65 decibels of sound (similar to a chainsaw) are needed to throw up images on screens that are 98 feet tall. It would be just like showing a movie on my big fat behind.