Women’s soccer records two wins this weekend

The Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer tournament kicked off Saturday with the first match between the hosting Tartans and the 18th-ranked Elizabethtown College Blue Jays, with a 1–0 result in favor of the home team. The Tartans defeated the Haverford College Fords, 1–0, on Sunday. Senior and co-captain Abby Coffin tallied both games' only goals, improving the Tartans’ record to 3–0–1.

Entering the weekend, Carnegie Mellon was faced with devastating news that three key players had sustained season-altering injuries: First-year Ava Murphey tore her anterior cruciate ligament, sophomore Valerie Corvino tore her posterior cruciate ligament and pulled her quad, and junior Christine Steffa suffered a stress fracture in her right foot. In addition, co-captain Mary Ashe received a concussion during last Sunday’s match against Virginia Wesleyan College and sat out this weekend. There is no definite timeline for their return to the field.

Seconds from Saturday’s kickoff, first-year Elsa Wu slid a ball into the penalty area for Coffin to strike a shot that was quickly scooped up by Blue Jays goalkeeper Angela Freeland. Coffin made sure to finish her next scoring opportunity, when a free kick was awarded to Carnegie Mellon after Wu was taken down on the right flank about 35 yards out. Sophomore defender Emily Overstreet laid the ball into the middle of the goal box and both teams battled for possession, but Coffin finished the ball into the lower left corner in the 17th minute.

Sunday’s match saw more aggressive offensive play for the Tartans, as even defenders were able to come up the field and be lethal in the box. Senior and defender co-captain Sarah DeWath created several opportunities on free kicks when her dangerous headers went on frame but were unable to sneak over the line.

Carnegie Mellon took 13 shots, in comparison to Haverford’s three, and was awarded 10 corner kicks and 10 free kicks.

In the 12th minute, Overstreet struck a corner kick to the back post for Coffin, who headed the ball, sailing it toward the back of the net. The ball dropped just in time for Ford goalkeeper Lindsay Festa to punch it over the crossbar. Coffin had another opportunity in the 24th minute when she received the ball from the right flank with no defenders near and cranked a shot at the unaware Festa, who managed to catch a save.

Mayhem broke out in the 49th minute when the ball was played to the head of first-year forward Nicole Bayley heading for the goalkeeper, who patted it out for another Tartan attempt at goal, another deflection and shot, but the final rebound made its way out of the box to get Haverford clear from trouble.

Another Overstreet corner kick sailed straight to Coffin’s forehead, who slammed the ball square into the back of the net in the 57th minute for a solid goal that bounced back out after being struck with such force. This goal marks her fourth of the season and 32nd of her college career. She is just one goal shy from surpassing reigning record-holder Hallie DuMont’s 33 goals, a mark set in 2005.

The final seconds proved to be a thriller when Bayley got a straightaway with Festa out of the box and up near the half mark, but she was unable to chip the ball over to the wide-open net. The final buzzer sounded to conclude the final match of the Carnegie Mellon Tournament.

The Tartans travel to Capital University in Columbus, Ohio to compete Saturday, with kickoff set for 12:30 p.m.