100 years ago, September 18, 1907

The Tartan publishes the senior schedule. Imagine taking a class called “Railroad Design.” Then again, imagine railroads — do they still make those?

50 years ago, September 24, 1957

The basement of Margaret Morrison, now known as the home of the exclusive “design cluster,” was once a shooting range. Proof: A blurb alerts readers that tryouts for the Tech Rifle Team will be held in said location. I guess they didn’t have video games in the 1950s.

25 years ago, September 7, 1982

An article on the front page tells of The Tartan’s six awards from the Pennsylvania College Press Association. With all of our 21st-century modesty, Tartan writers of the present would be sure to push that information — at least to Page Two.

10 years ago, September 2, 1997

A student is caught walking away from the University Center with a plastic “Bathroom Closed” sign in tow, so says Crime & Incident. Maybe he just wanted his roommate to give him some privacy.

5 years ago, September 9, 2002

The Pillbox feature tells of a new class offered by Campus Police called Rape Aggression Defense (RAD). According to the article, the classes give tips on being aware of your environment in addition to teaching martial arts. Mace is not mentioned — but then again, neither is crushing the assailant between your thumb and forefinger, which is my self-defense method of choice.

1 year ago, September 11, 2006

Remember when Facebook added its News Feed and the entire world seemed to be coming to an end? A Tartan writer says what we all need to hear: Calm. The. Hell. Down.