100 years ago, September 18, 1907

The sports section includes an instructional article on how to swim. The average swimmer-to-be, says the writer, requires six to 10 lessons to master the art of not drowning. The author makes a point to discourage the age-old technique of throwing a kid in a river and (assuming he survives) teaching him to swim.

50 years ago, September 24, 1957

A Tartan writer enrolled in Margaret Morrison Carnegie College complains that none of her classes have any boys in them. Sure, she writes, the boys don’t want to take cooking or sewing, but they wouldn’t be so out of place in classes like English and history. 50 years later, take a seat behind one of those all-work, no-shower boys, and you’ll see why some people thought it was a good idea to separate the sexes.

25 years ago, September 7, 1982

An ad appears for roller-skating on the Cut, $1 per hour on a Friday afternoon. Why don’t we still do fun things like this? I know I’m not the only one who’s sick of Dance Dance Revolution.

10 years ago, September 2, 1997

An article reveals that Carnegie Mellon does not own the acronym “CMU” — it belongs to Central Michigan University. Well, at least we still have dibs on gems like MCS, SCS, H&SS, CFA, and CIT. OMFG.

5 years ago, August 26, 2002

Pillbox releases its first issue, encompassing the former Arts & Living and Entertainment sections in a single tabloid. The name “Pillbox,” says a letter from the editor, is supposed to represent “something hip and innovative.” Well, that might be true — but in 2007, the name Pillbox is more likely to connote something confusing, mysterious, and vaguely medicated.

1 year ago, August 28, 2006

A Tartan writer rails against a staple of many people’s college diets: ramen noodles. According to the article, one package of ramen contains about 1800 milligrams of sodium. It’s death — just add water.