100 years ago, Nov. 13, 1907

A blurb describes the attire required of first-years at various schools, from straw hats with crowns painted dark green at Bowdoin University, to brown skullcaps at Brown University, to red and white hats, sweater vests, neckties, and socks at Oberlin. And I thought those Orientation shirts were tacky.

50 years ago, Nov. 26, 1957

Six students receive academic probation after stealing a thousand-pound bell from Slippery Rock Teacher’s College. The students rolled the bell off Slippery Rock’s campus, then drove it back to Carnegie Tech. They rang the bell in the parking lot of Morewood Gardens, and repeated the scene in a parking lot in the fraternity quad, before they were apprehended by the administration.

25 years ago, Nov. 9, 1982

A Tartan writer complains about a change in the meal plan policy: First-years pledging fraternities are no longer allowed to drop their meal plans, and can now (like today) only switch to a reduced meal plan. It might be more expensive this way, but at least fraternity members have a hired chef. So, who’s really losing here: the fraternities, or the rest of Carnegie Mellon?

10 years ago, Nov. 10, 1997

The Tartan calendar advertises an event called Download the Holy Spirit, for churchgoers who — so says the blurb — “just can’t roll out of bed on a Sunday morning.” The mass takes place at the UC Chapel Sundays at 6 p.m., and, despite the name, there appears to be no downloading involved. As for uploading, it doesn’t say — hopefully, attendees can transfer their prayers at 14 terabytes per second.

5 years ago, Nov. 11, 2002

A front-page headline announces some truly earth-shattering news: “Architect curriculum stressful in early years.” Really? And I thought “Archie’s Leap” was just for kicks.

1 year ago, Nov. 13, 2006

The Frame hosts perhaps its most buoyant exhibit to date: “TA-TAs,” a show dedicated to Mellons — I mean melons. “TA-TAs” featured a canopy of bras, breast examination posters, and jugs of Franzia with spouts that look like nipples. But the most entertaining part of “TA-TAs” was the interactive component: isitors (especially those female) were invited to go into the back room, remove their shirts, and create “breast prints” using paint and poster board.