100 years ago, Oct. 2, 1907

A former Tartan section, “Pertinent and Impertinent” (retired because everything we write is pertinent), features a grab-bag of interesting goodies: A professor absent due to typhoid is expected to recover within the next week; the physics department has a new “lighting apparatus”; and, perhaps most enjoyable, a pun: “Have you seen so-and-so’s mustache?” “Yes, I think it’s very becoming.” “Well, it might be-coming, but it hasn’t come yet!”

50 years ago, Oct. 1, 1957

In a particularly artsy moment, The Tartan publishes a poem called “Morewood Melody,” wherein the narrator gets rejected by a girl. I guess things haven’t changed that much since the ’50s.

25 years ago, Oct. 5, 1982

A letter to the editor complains about a pair of frat boys who pestered a female student at 2:30 a.m., all the while wearing their fraternity pins — symbols of the Greek commitment to respect and responsibility. At this point, we can be grateful for two things: nicer frat boys (well, hopefully) and a lack of tacky pins.

10 years ago, Sept. 29, 1997

A Tartan article tells of a student reading series called Nickel Beer Night. Now, despite the subject of the article, I failed to read the rest of it, so preoccupied was I with the thought of 5-cent beer.

5 years ago, Oct. 7, 2002

A Tartan writer rails against Health and Housing Services’ initiative to comply with a new state law requiring college students to get meningitis vaccinations. According to the article, the powers that be are threatening to remove unvaccinated students from classes and university housing. All inconveniences aside, it sounds like a much-needed break.

1 year ago, Oct. 2, 2006

A cheery front-page article boasts one of Carnegie Mellon’s crowning achievements: We have the only bagpipe major in the country. One year later, we can only hope it’s still true.